Carbon wrap or hydro dip

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tvmax

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2000 with carbon covers. The tank looks bad. Anyone ever get a hydro dip or wrap done? If I have to replace it is the 2000 carbon unique to that year?

I have a 2000 with carbon covers. The tank looks bad. Anyone ever get a hydro dip or wrap done? If I have to replace it is the 2000 carbon unique to that year?
IMO, Id say the carbon fiber is , well, old and not so exciting anymore.
Now that Hydro dip seems to be infinitly more creative.
Yup! hydro dip it is.

I just did this edit because the carbon fiber, being unique to that year
is and should be a concern.
Tough call mate!

I have had both done. I had a belly pan carbon wrapped and to my eyes it was OK but it lacked the gloss of the OE finish and somehow managed to look plastic.
When I replaces the front and rear mudguards, belly-pan, side panels and scoops I bit the bullet and went for hydrodipping.

I'll let you decide.

Sept-12_2Web.jpg

Sept-12_2_Scoop inserts.jpg

Sept-12Web.jpg

I don't recall how much it cost but it wasn't cheap and probably cost more than wrapping.
If you intend to keep the bike long term and are prepared to dig into your pockets then IMO there is no contest.

Last edited:

Not sure what is "looking bad" about it but if the clear is chipping perhaps smoothing out the edges and clearing it again might work???

Just a thought

LHydro dip
[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• IMG_2653.jpeg
    IMG_2653.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0048.png
    IMG_0048.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Not sure what is "looking bad" about it but if the clear is chipping perhaps smoothing out the edges and clearing it again might work???

Just a thought
When I purchased the bike it was from an auction yard. They had written numbers on the tank. When they were wiped off they looked like they were still there. When I did a light sand it started to remove the carbon look as well.

When I purchased the bike it was from an auction yard. They had written numbers on the tank. When they were wiped off they looked like they were still there. When I did a light sand it started to remove the carbon look as well.
OK, yea, if sanding got into the carbon clearing probably won't turn out well.

Is hydro dipping as durable as paint ? I have the exact same situation and dont know which way to go.

Is hydro dipping as durable as paint ? I have the exact same situation and dont know which way to go.
After Hydro dipping a lacquer coat is normally applied and provided it is to the same specification as automotive re-finishing then yes.

Hydro dip Clear coat. Ceramic coat

Attachments

• IMG_0048.png
    IMG_0048.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
LHydro dip
[/QUOTE]
That wheel looks very nice. Which generation do you like better. It looks like you have both.

I have had both done. I had a belly pan carbon wrapped and to my eyes it was OK but it lacked the gloss of the OE finish and somehow managed to look plastic.
When I replaces the front and rear mudguards, belly-pan, side panels and scoops I bit the bullet and went for hydrodipping.

I'll let you decide.

View attachment 90670

View attachment 90671

View attachment 90672

I don't recall how much it cost but it wasn't cheap and probably cost more than wrapping.
If you intend to keep the bike long term and are prepared to dig into your pockets then IMO there is no contest.
If i was just reading i be "Puke"

butyou found a really pro, it those not look crappy at all, Great job

PS: What model are those front brakes...??

I also love the under rear brake, Nice trick

Back