Clutch advice

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all back onto my max after some more surgery.. and I had posted sometime back about my clutch.
It would slip even after new friction plates, yes the old ones were worn . Changed levers from aftermarket ones.. nope still would do it. Of course I had changed the fluid so I also swapped the old 1997 clutch line to a braided one.. still nope. Changed master cylinder and that help but still would slip
So I was looking at the plunger on the master cylinder and bango there is the smoking gun
Cleaned it up and lubed it and that has helped the most.. SO After the long informative lead in my question is how much wear do you think is on the plates? I rode for a year like this and this max never seemed to accelerate or hook up like my last 2 max’s
I’m taking the clutch apart to take the half plate out and want to change springs and probably the diaphragm.. any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. Tim

Look in the service manual to see what the wear limit is for the friction discs and then measure them

Also make sure all of the steel discs are flat not warped and the flatest side of the steels are facing outward

I wouldn't change anything until you have established that the component is out of spec. which, as Mr Medic says, the tolerances are in the Service manual.
Note that the diaphragm is the spring.
Pay attention to how the plates are put into the basket as described in pages 3-66 to 69 of the Service Manual.

I'm not sure how one side of the steels can be more flat that the other but you should place them with the burr caused by the stamping out facing the same way.

Back