Cops ...coil choice

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark145max

Reaction score
Hi all, I've just bought the components, cable, resistors and coils for cops. I've bought coils from a z1000r...this ok?

What do you know about the resistance of those coils? What year VMax are you trying to install them on?

Because there is a member on here who sells a COPS kit, you are stepping into a potential firestorm. Knowledge about what values for the coil packs are readily available. Use of incorrect value resistance on early VMax ignitions have been blamed for 'toasting' the 1985-'89 ignitions. Gannon's kits remedy this, and come with true 'plug & play' use. That's worth something. Whether or not you're willing to pay his price is your choice. Don't be mad if he's not-willing to freely give-away the info you seek.

I'm sure that someone may volunteer their opinion on the correct resistance coils-over-plugs you use. Be aware that if your attempt goes wrong, you may be purchasing a new CDI box.

I've been running resistor-less COPS on my '85 for years now with no problems. That doesn't guarantee that your TCI box won't fry, or that mine won't go up in smoke the next time I start the engine. But, if it hasn't failed yet, I think it probably won't.

As far as what coils to use, I just bought 4 coils off EBay, not knowing there was any difference in them. This was before people were adding the resistors. I think mine came out of a Suzuki GSX-something..

Cost me about $25.00 to make up my set.

I snagged my four coils and COP harness from ebay, I believe it was an early 2000 gixer 600. They were a tad tall but they look fine and work fine. I bought a set previously but they were crimped and kept falling apart. I had to rebuild them with heat shrink, solder and proper sheathing. Here is a link that contains much great info for building your own COPs and harness. My Venture version is in this thread towards the end. I hope this helps.
https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?102440-Run-for-it-it-s-the-COPs!

The attached list is probably not comprehensive but is a start.
If anyone has additional data then please let me know.

Attachments

• Denso CoP info.pdf
    181.2 KB · Views: 40
Back