Coughing/Sputtering

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dreamster66 said:
Just got back from "testing" my bike out....the coughing up thru the carbs is gone but when I run or rev high rpm's....say around 6 grand in 1st and the back off to idle it pops from the exhausts..... with flames!
My screws are set at 2 full turn out again....tried 2-1/2, 1 and also 1 1/2 out.....possible the timing is off?
oh....and if it is the timing....does anyone have experience with the Dyna 3000???
I've heard great things about them.... and I assume they have setting on them to adjust the timing?
If so, how easy is it to adjust it?
Pythonmotorsports has them on ebay for 249. + s&h.
Randy

Dreamster66 said:
Just got back from "testing" my bike out....the coughing up thru the carbs is gone but when I run or rev high rpm's....say around 6 grand in 1st and the back off to idle it pops from the exhausts..... with flames!
My screws are set at 2 full turn out again....tried 2-1/2, 1 and also 1 1/2 out.....possible the timing is off?

Does the bike sound rythmic at idle or is it lumpy and not rythmic at normal operating temp at idle?
________
trichome

Last edited:
firefly said:
Does the bike sound rythmic at idle or is it lumpy and not rythmic at normal operating temp at idle?
kinda sounds rythmic at idle at the norm. temp.
skips just a bit now and then....but always has since I bought it a few months ago.
Other than that, sounds pretty smooth.
This has got me stumped...... I only wish there was a "vmax oriented" person nearby to listen to it or test drive it.
maybe I'll try the dropper/ straw and seafoam trick tomorrow.
The #1 carb (rear left) didn't seem to stumble at all when I went all the way in with the air/fuel screw.
Might have a plugged hole ....AGAIN!
Can't wait til winter so I can remove the tank and coat it.
The fuel filter was clogged when I checked it last week like you wouldn't believe.
Do you get the impression that the 'max is a little bit higher maintainance than most other bikes?
It's like dating a super model..... she needs ALOT of attention but to ride her is mind blowing.....lol.
hmmm....think my 'max just got a name....lol
Randy

Dreamster66 said:
kinda sounds rythmic at idle at the norm. temp.
skips just a bit now and then....but always has since I bought it a few months ago.
Other than that, sounds pretty smooth.
This has got me stumped...... I only wish there was a "vmax oriented" person nearby to listen to it or test drive it.
maybe I'll try the dropper/ straw and seafoam trick tomorrow.
The #1 carb (rear left) didn't seem to stumble at all when I went all the way in with the air/fuel screw.
Might have a plugged hole ....AGAIN!
Can't wait til winter so I can remove the tank and coat it.
The fuel filter was clogged when I checked it last week like you wouldn't believe.
Do you get the impression that the 'max is a little bit higher maintainance than most other bikes?
It's like dating a super model..... she needs ALOT of attention but to ride her is mind blowing.....lol.
hmmm....think my 'max just got a name....lol
Randy

With the fuel tank rusted and fuel filter clogged that could have gone into the carbs , so how about emptying the fuel from each carb and look if it contains any sediments. at least this will give you an idea of what is inside the carbs.
if dirty I would recommend complete carb disassembly and good cleaning of all parts.
I never opened the carbs and will probably never do it, I'll let the dealer do that if it comes to that or maybe remove the carbs and send them to Sean Morly to clean and send back .

To me max is not a high maintenance bike, but I never park it more than a week / year so never had fuel / clogging problems.
________

Last edited:
I bought a 1997 max that was in storage for quite awhile. I've had the carbs off three times.

1) Fresh gas in the tank, turned the key for the first time. One of the floats was stuck. Pulled the carb bank, cleaned the offender, slapped it back together.

2) It ran fine for about two weeks until one day I lost ALOT of low end power and it wouldn't idle. Did the 'shotgun' cleaning on it and it worked fine.

3) About 2 weeks later, ridiculous power loss. I'm talking Ninja 250 level power. Shotgunned again and noticed something being broken loose on one of the main air bleeds. Been running like a champ since.

I noticed something common on 2 and 3--they occured after kicking in reserve both times. I'm fairly certain that was the source--and fuel route that was unused for several years. There was also quite a bit of lean popping with both 2 and 3. I don't think I ever got things cleaned up the first time around.

For what it's worth I'm 3 1/4 turns out with kerker slipons.

shawn kloker said:
Vmax carbs are very finicky,specially on bikes that have sat around for a long time.

If a bike sits for more the two months without proper storage,the carbs have to be disassembled and throughly cleaned by a professional not a week end wannabe mechanic, all other methods like shotgun cleaning is just nonsense and do not do the job!, putting a carb cleaner in the air passages will leave residue which will end up attracting dust and get clogged again. if this was a fool proof method people would not have to do it several times, the results from it are questionable to say the least.
The guy that came up with it made a good effort to explain it but that is not the proper way to clean carburetors.
________
Suzuki Boulevard S40 specifications

Last edited:
If the bike is putted around everywhere for a long time it will clog the idle circuts,and carbon up the valves.Don't be afraid to open it up once in a while to clean them out.

I would also dump about a third of a can of seafoam in first and go for a ride.I will bet that it will run like shit for half a mile or so then perk up. You can find seafoam at auto part stores for about$5.I run it every 4-5 tanks to help clean out the additive residues from crappy gas.It also works well as stabilizer for storage.

MNFatz said:
something common on 2 and 3--they occured after kicking in reserve both times. I'm fairly certain that was the source--and fuel route that was unused for several years. There was also quite a bit of lean popping with both 2 and 3. I don't think I ever got things cleaned up the first time around.

Just curious;
Does the reserve actually use a different circuit or does the level/float just kill the pump and the reserve turns the pump back on to finish off the tank using the same pickup??

I've tried to look down in the tank and I can't really tell??

how did you notice something being broken loose?
Did you actually see something come out or hear a difference in air pressure?
I'm having one hella time lately with my max.... and to make matters worse....yamaha dealer raped me 4.48 per o-ring for my air/fuel needles...OUCH!
couldnt find those sizes ANYWHERE...even autozone or napa.
What size are they?
OH..... and when I cleaned the carbs yesterday/today (removed them and thoughly cleaned them) took the bike for a ride....no popping BUT when I got on it, I looked in the mirror and seen a stream of whitish smoke!
Too rich?
They are at 2-3/4 to 3 turns out.

Dreamster66 said:
how did you notice something being broken loose?
Did you actually see something come out or hear a difference in air pressure?
I'm having one hella time lately with my max.... and to make matters worse....yamaha dealer raped me 4.48 per o-ring for my air/fuel needles...OUCH!
couldnt find those sizes ANYWHERE...even autozone or napa.
What size are they?
OH..... and when I cleaned the carbs yesterday/today (removed them and thoughly cleaned them) took the bike for a ride....no popping BUT when I got on it, I looked in the mirror and seen a stream of whitish smoke!
Too rich?
They are at 2-3/4 to 3 turns out.

Did you resync the carbs and make sure the diaphrams were in correctly.This is hard to do correctly without seeing it done one time.

shawn kloker said:
Did you resync the carbs and make sure the diaphrams were in correctly.This is hard to do correctly without seeing it done one time.
Yep..... did both..... and I realize that antifreeze can produce whitish smoke....wasnt that tho.... didnt even smell like that.
Might have been a bluish to it.... was busy watching the car in front of me.
Guess I might take it to the dealer and have them do a once over on it.

Check the spark plugs color this will give you a more accurate picture than us guessing.

Dreamster66 said:
Yep..... did both..... and I realize that antifreeze can produce whitish smoke....wasnt that tho.... didnt even smell like that.
Might have been a bluish to it.... was busy watching the car in front of me.
Guess I might take it to the dealer and have them do a once over on it.
________
iolite portable vaporizer

Last edited:
firefly said:
Check the spark plugs color this will give you a more accurate picture than us guessing.
3 of the spark plugs have a black soot on them..... other 1 has more of a wet black on it.
I love my max but have never had this much of a problem with other bikes I've had.
I understand the max carbs are finicky.....
Maybe when I get my other tank on I can "cure" some of my problems.... the one on it now does have crap in it.

Did you measure the floats?Check the diaphrams for any signs of rips,tears or worn spots?Hold them up to the light and try to look through them.A torn one will let extra fuel through.

The plug that had a wet black might have a torn diaphram.A little soot around the outer ring is normal not on the electrode or arm.

Did you run seafoam through it?

Is this bike stock in the carbs?

When you drop the needle down into the diaphram did you turn it till the little tit on the plastic piece dropped down into the little hole in the diaphram?This could also make the needles very rich because it is not seated down in far enough.

Its very hard to just troubleshoot over the computer.

Last edited:
shawn kloker said:
Did you measure the floats?Check the diaphrams for any signs of rips,tears or worn spots?Hold them up to the light and try to look through them.A torn one will let extra fuel through.

The plug that had a wet black might have a torn diaphram.A little soot around the outer ring is normal not on the electrode or arm.

Did you run seafoam through it?

Is this bike stock in the carbs?

When you drop the needle down into the diaphram did you turn it till the little tit on the plastic piece dropped down into the little hole in the diaphram?This could also make the needles very rich because it is not seated down in far enough.

Its very hard to just troubleshoot over the computer.
BRAND NEW diaphrams....all 4....did run seafoam too....needles are seated properly....I know....hard to troubleshoot on a pc.... wish someone was close to me...I'd hire someone to fix her up for me. :confused2:
Didnt measure the floats....how do you do it?
I'm good at alot of things, but not all.

ok....here's the update.... I went out to fire it up.... took FOREVER to start.... when it finally did....using choke too....never had to do that B4....anyhow.... runs like dog poo til I hit around 4-5K.
Even with T boost on.... after that....runs really good (I dont think I know what runs GREAT is....I think from the get go it could have run better) ...lol
It was also back firing somewhat when it was backing down from a high rpm.
Screws are 2-3/4 out.
Cleaned plugs last night too.... I can also hear the fuel pump kick on when I hit the key, so I can eliminate that.
V-boost whirling too.
I dont think I left anything out- other than asking if someone handy is close by me in Corning NY....lol
Thanks guys...sorry for being a pain in the *ss.
Randy
ps...Shawn...you are VERY knowledegable....wish you were my neighbor!

Take it to a good mechanic or the dealer! messing the carburetor is a very easy thing to do. it will cost you to have it done by a professional but well worth it.

Dreamster66 said:
ok....here's the update.... I went out to fire it up.... took FOREVER to start.... when it finally did....using choke too....never had to do that B4....anyhow.... runs like dog poo til I hit around 4-5K.
Even with T boost on.... after that....runs really good (I dont think I know what runs GREAT is....I think from the get go it could have run better) ...lol
It was also back firing somewhat when it was backing down from a high rpm.
Screws are 2-3/4 out.
Cleaned plugs last night too.... I can also hear the fuel pump kick on when I hit the key, so I can eliminate that.
V-boost whirling too.
I dont think I left anything out- other than asking if someone handy is close by me in Corning NY....lol
Thanks guys...sorry for being a pain in the *ss.
Randy
ps...Shawn...you are VERY knowledegable....wish you were my neighbor!
________
Konrad KM-011

Last edited:
Back