Dammit, wage protestors coming this way!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caseyjones955

Reaction score
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/eco...onalds-headquarters-protest-low-wages-n362291

I was hoping they would stick to the coastal regions but they are creeping inland.
I'm not sure protesting will be very effective when when fast food automates most of their jobs in the not so distant future. These entry level jobs are pivotal for young people breaking into the workforce and not intended to be a long term lucrative career.

I think your wrong about the entry level job aspects of fast food work. As someone who eats more fast food than I should, many of the workers I see are middle aged or older. While I agree that it was originally thought of as entry level work I think more and more it's become a regular job. I have no issues raising their wages and have no issues paying a bit extra for it.

F'ck, I think we should skip the $15/hr rate hike they are protesting for, and go straight for the $100K/yr salaries for each of them. I mean, he!!, I knew I was wasting my time and money paying my own way through college for a better job. Why should the entitled new generation be required to work so hard for a better living. Shoot, why should they work, or attend school at all? Give them the $100K each year in a gift card at Christmas time and let them vacation year round instead. /sarcasm

I think your wrong about the entry level job aspects of fast food work. As someone who eats more fast food than I should, many of the workers I see are middle aged or older. While I agree that it was originally thought of as entry level work I think more and more it's become a regular job. I have no issues raising their wages and have no issues paying a bit extra for it.

Counterpoint well taken.

I rarely go anymore and the main reason is the price has already crept up considerably in the last few years but quality and quantity has been the same or maybe even less. Value menus are disappearing and it's often close to or >$10 to feed a person. So a couple times a year give/take.

Now that you mention it I do see more middle aged and even some seniors in there. Submitted for everyone's approval, some of them should probably learn a trade, hit some night classes or find an internship in a higher paying field, or make peace with the low wages the industry offers. I think that assuming one will make a comfortable living at McDonalds et al constitutes extremely poor planning. The danger is that "fast food" is already looking into automation, like kiosks and automation like a giant vending machine. It's not sci-fi but it's just around the corner. We'll probably see this start to happen before we see Hillary in cuffs.

http://www.businessinsider.com/carls-jr-wants-open-automated-location-2016-3

But I digress, this came up last year when we first heard about the $15/hr movement on the coasts. I'm pretty surprised that it's making it's way inland. Usually ideas like this die off before they make it here. I know we're going to see some huge changes to the industry but it's mathematically highly improbable that all these demonstrators are going to end up making $15/hr, or will even remain employed in the next 5 years.

Back