Discs past experation date.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CNN SUCKS DONKEY

Reaction score
Purchased my first vmax yesterday and discovered my rear disc is at the min allowed .28" and the two front are way past the 70 mill allowed to more like 47mill each oddly their both smooth and flat unlike the rear wich has grooves. the p.o gave me GIGANTIC Yamaha vmax service / repair manual tech type / not user freindly...wich is where i saw the min allowed width of the discs. Question ; ,silly at that ; anyone else ride with discs way past their allowed width 47mill seems alot past to me, guess i want to know exactly what happens if continued use ? is it an automatic death sentence do they crack break not function, ive already ordered replacements. but just wanted to know if any forum member has ever push the envelope. Lastly im new here .....can someone point me towards a brakepad replacement how to sticky or video section of the forum. otherwise im gona start skimming thru this forum. Thanks

If they aren't causing pulsation and your pads are thick then you should not be in any danger. Thin pads on a thin rotor could in theory cause a piston to over extend and come out though I am not really sure it would be possible on this brake setup.

I do sell new pad sets for $100 for front/rears (along with brake upgrade options).

I would highly suggest you clean the old build up off the pistons before pushing them back in when you put the new pads back on.

Are rear discs the same for all years? I could do with a new one and we have some for sale here but the listing shows suitable for Vmax 86-92.
I have an 02.
Thanks

Doesn't the front disc from a 1985-1992 fit the rear of 1985-2007? And the front left caliper from 1985-1992 fit the rear of all from 1985-2007?

The Right Front 85-92 fits the Rear of the 85-07. None of the calipers can be rotated by position/

Latest posts

Back