First “real” ride

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerr8005

Reaction score
so it was nice enough here in Kansas to take my (new to me) ‘93 Vmax out for a ride. was Able to get on it a little, sputtered put it on reserve and headed to the gas station. Filled up, stopped by to show my brother, headed home and thought why not…. So on the road dropped down to a rolling start in first, wholly sh*t that thing got to business!! Man, it’s hard to describe how well these machines run. gave me a perm-a-grin all afternoon! Man so happy I bought that thing, can’t wait for spring to get here.

Attachments

• IMG_0377.jpeg
    IMG_0377.jpeg
    191.3 KB · Views: 0
I know how you feel. I bought a 1989 Vmax project (last run in 2011) about two months ago, now and about $2000 later she is running and looking great.

I had fast bikes before and there are faster bikes out there, but nothing comes even close the way the Vmax delivers the power when the V-Boost kicks in, it's truly a blast and impressive.
It kind of reminds me of my first bike, a Kawasaki 750 H2 which I had in the mid 70s. Of course, the H2 had worst handling and brakes with nylon swing arm bushings and a single disc brake up front.

Took me months to get my trike running right but when I did - oh boy - esp as the last bike had (& most 'powerful') was a '70s Honda CB500T with sidewinder sidecar (tray). I love the way this thing rides & even more how it looks. Just needs better steering which I hope to address next yr.

Took me months to get my trike running right but when I did - oh boy - esp as the last bike had (& most 'powerful') was a '70s Honda CB500T with sidewinder sidecar (tray). I love the way this thing rides & even more how it looks. Just needs better steering which I hope to address next yr.
I bet that was quite a job to convert your Vmax to a trike.

Up to triple-digits, the VMax will give a Hyabusa a run, after that, the HP and aero package of the Hyabusa rule. Among the 1980's bikes, there are few which in stock condition can best it. Remember Jay Gleason turned a 10.27 at Baylands in 1984 when the bike was released. He repeated it at Anaheim (CA) Stadium a week later.

At 1:57, the engine dyno shows 141 HP.

1702226199349.png

None of us have Jay Gleason's skills, but the feel of VBoost and the red oil light winking at you is confirmation that you're in for an E-ticket ride.

I know how you feel. I bought a 1989 Vmax project (last run in 2011) about two months ago, now and about $2000 later she is running and looking great.

I had fast bikes before and there are faster bikes out there, but nothing comes even close the way the Vmax delivers the power when the V-Boost kicks in, it's truly a blast and impressive.
It kind of reminds me of my first bike, a Kawasaki 750 H2 which I had in the mid 70s. Of course, the H2 had worst handling and brakes with nylon swing arm bushings and a single disc brake up front.
My first street bike was also an H2 750. I bought it in 1983 from a guy who had just rebuilt it. It did not like to turn!! lol. Incidentally, the guy I bought it from was on Night Line with Ted Kopple several years later. He was a fighter pilot in the first Gulf War and shot down 2 Iraqi planes in one sortie. Apparently, the first time that had happened in many years.

I bet that was quite a job to convert your Vmax to a trike.
I bought it as a trike. Tbh it's a relatively simple conversion. Remove the swing arm & rear wheel & replace with a new swing arm that has with a one piece axle & drive shaft (english in my case) grafted to the old swing arm frame section, larger rr brake m/cylinder. The months of work was fixing all the botches of the cnt who did that and decades of neglect.

so it was nice enough here in Kansas to take my (new to me) ‘93 Vmax out for a ride. was Able to get on it a little, sputtered put it on reserve and headed to the gas station. Filled up, stopped by to show my brother, headed home and thought why not…. So on the road dropped down to a rolling start in first, wholly sh*t that thing got to business!! Man, it’s hard to describe how well these machines run. gave me a perm-a-grin all afternoon! Man so happy I bought that thing, can’t wait for spring to get here.
Please tell us you are joking about First Bike, they may look gentle and they will not willie much, but their rears love to come out in front of you and is not a pretty site..

Much respect is necessary with this old monsters

Please tell us you are joking about First Bike, they may look gentle and they will not willie much, but their rears love to come out in front of you and is not a pretty site..

Much respect is necessary with this old monsters
I’ve had many bikes, mainly Harley’s. A Vmax has always been on my bucket list. I told my wife I’ll sell the Vmax this summer when I buy a Harley again,….. but I’m keeping it and will still buy a HD.

I’ve had many bikes, mainly Harley’s. A Vmax has always been on my bucket list. I told my wife I’ll sell the Vmax this summer when I buy a Harley again,….. but I’m keeping it and will still buy a HD.

I have multiple Evo. Powered Harleys including a worked FXR and 107 B.D.

Purchased my 94 Vmax about four years ago, completely stock other than drilled mufflers.

The Vmax’s performance, is in a league of its own and you don’t have to spend thousands to gain Horse Power, as with the Harleys.

Ride safe.

Back