Front brakes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean-uk

Reaction score
Does anyone know if a stock 93 bike has two pistons in the front brake caliper or four in each. I've been trying to get some seals for mine but every shop seems to think my brakes are after market ones.

Four. 1985-1992 has two opposed pistons. You should have two pairs of pistons. They are opposite/opposed.

Cars and trucks often have one moving piston, and the other side brake pad is fixed, it doesn't move. This design is often called 'single-sliding' piston/caliper. The Honda SOHC inline-4 750cc which started the hydraulic disc brake use on motorcycles had a design like this. The first pic shows the movable-piston housing casting on the upper side, and the fixed, no piston caliper brake pad bracket on the lower side.

Honda SOHC brake test.jpgHonda SOHC caliper grease gun.jpg

An interesting fact is MV Agusta used a mechanical disc brake on their early inline-4's, it was cable-operated. Racers of the day usually had drum brakes, with 'leading shoes.' Some of the more advanced designs had as many as eight shoes! Oldani, Grimeca, Ceriani, Fontana and others were popular.

The MV Agusta DOHC inline-4 with cable-operated disc brakes:

1666183507402.png

This shows the twin leading shoe design drum brake used on the popular CB77 Honda Superhawk, which was made through 1967. Look at the horizontal bar above the front axle which attaches to the brake shoe actuating levers. The front of each brake shoe first makes contact with the drum, hence the 'leading-shoe' designation. The cheaper design is to use a single brake actuating arm, with no linking rod, this design is a 'leading-shoe, trailing-shoe' design. One brake shoe has the front of it contacting the brake drum, while the other brake shoe has its trailing or rear of the brake shoe first contacting the brake drum.

Honda 305 Superhawk front wheel-engine.png

Last edited:
4 pot brake calliper, piston diameter

30mm and 34mm

BTW I'm not confirming but giving piston diameter for 4 pot.

Last edited:
It actually depends on what country your bike is from.
In the US the ‘93 has 4 pot like mentioned above, but in Canada for example, the ‘93 has two pot Calipers.
In ‘93, Canada received the ‘92 US version. Not sure why.

Back