Gear ratios and HP/TQ

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's what the new Max will have to beat (real world). This from a B-King board with a stock bike.

60ft was in 1.66
330ft was in 4.37
660ft was in 6.51 @ 116.97mph
terminal speed at 140.61mph in 9.87 seconds

I also read a bike mag (at my age I have forgotten which one) that had a girl on the bike riding in the 9s somewhere. Other times from Average Joes I've seen were in the mid-upper 10s...stock.

With aftermarket slipons and a PCIII, many of these bikes are getting 180 hp at the rear wheel. With 100-lbs less baggage to carry on the B-King, Mr. Max is gonna have to bring his lunch to beat that, no?

Here's what the new Max will have to beat (real world). This from a B-King board with a stock bike.

60ft was in 1.66
330ft was in 4.37
660ft was in 6.51 @ 116.97mph
terminal speed at 140.61mph in 9.87 seconds

I also read a bike mag (at my age I have forgotten which one) that had a girl on the bike riding in the 9s somewhere. Other times from Average Joes I've seen were in the mid-upper 10s...stock.

With aftermarket slipons and a PCIII, many of these bikes are getting 180 hp at the rear wheel. With 100-lbs less baggage to carry on the B-King, Mr. Max is gonna have to bring his lunch to beat that, no?

As much as you new max owners don't want to hear it I keep saying Yamaha Fup! they had forever to get it right and at best might just might be able to hang with the competition, even if what a waste of time!!! and embarrassing to boot! They had 12 years to make the baddest bike on the planet

I dont doubt the new VMAX will be able to hang with the BKING if not beat it in the 1/4 mile.
Could it have been stronger and the baddest bike come this November?
Why yeah sure, read up on the first motor design it made over 260HP!
Its still a VMAX which most of us all forget. Its a sport cruiser not a sport bike! Will it be the baddest cruiser out for 2009 YES !
Its a damn cruiser what do you all want a factory to produce a cruiser that can run high 8's in the 1/4 mile and run 200 MPH, give me a break!
Most here dont even come close with there VMAX's top speed, nor can get it down the dragstrip to its fullest capabilty.
Also have any of you read the back of the VBOOST magazine and its sad to say but all the VMAX riders that have lost there lives and have been seriously injured.
Its a shame but most people arent smart enough or have the abilities to ride a performance bike, but in todays world as long as you have 12,000.00 you can go out and buy a motorcycle that will run 200MPH!

I know what your saying Lankeey but for 20.000 they should have gone with the 1800 cc and obliterated the competition!

I know what your saying Lankeey but for 20.000 they should have gone with the 1800 cc and obliterated the competition!

The funny thing is, Herc, all these companies have the technology to produce a bike that can 'obliterate the competition.' It's not a technology issue, but a legal/ethical/marketing issue, whether to produce a 250+ hp bike that will kill people easier than the bikes already do today.

For example, Suzuki (if they were concerned about losing the hp war to Yamaha) could simply slap the blower from their concept B-King on the '09. Game over. Where does it end, though? It seems to me these manufacturers are all bumping up against a glass performance ceiling that they're not willing to shatter...it's not that they're not able to shatter it (like it used to be).

In the end, I don't think there's going to be a clear-cut HP/Torque winner on production bikes, for now.

Ok you guys bitch about 18,000.00 for a state of the art motorcycle with incredible performance.
Harley riders arent bitching about there 20K+ junkers that have NO technoligy nor performance. They spend 20K in that type of style and mostly the name.
Bitch Bitch Bitch why dont they improve the VMAX why dont they make it faster, why dont they put good tires on it, why dont they get it to handle better...
Well here it is. front rear anti lock breaks, a 200 series rear tire, front and rear radials aluminum frame, electronic controlled intake timing, 200 HP geeze, Its still not fast enough... Hell the numbers arent even out of the performance, all we know it will do 143MPH in the 1/4 mile which is blowing all others out of the water in this class of motorcycle. How fast is the Warrior? How fast is that 2200CC Rocket, How fast is the M109, Dont you guys get it? Make some sense if your going to talk about the 09 VMAX..

Have you ever heard of Warranty? Why do you think they speed restricted all the sportbikes to 187 and below?

Its a sport cruiser!! If you want a low 9 second bike go buy a ZX14R go Buy a Hayabusa.

It would be like Honda making there Civic run with a Corvette, can they make a V-TEC engine that could compete with the LT350 Engine I am sure they can! Wake up, stop bitching its here with lots of changes that we all asked for, and its approved by the US for sales.

Very good points Yankee. Has everyone forgotten that this is a VMAX?!?! Good God, this thing is in a class of its own!! This bike has almost 200 HP and yet that's not why I'm interested. I think the bike is very unique and as stated above, has the latest technology. Remember, no other bike has a look like this one!! This bike is going to turn more heads than any other bike out there, sure there will be a few customs. I remember thinking years ago that a motorcycle that had over 100 HP was insane!! Now we're talking 200 HP bikes. Also as stated above, when will it end? Just remember the legacy that is the VMAX, nobody else has that IMO. If power, money and performance are huge factors in a bike purchase then why do you suppose people buy Harleys? I have nothing against Harley but why pay 18K+ for a bike that has virtually no power and is not a performer (other than VRod)? They do it because they are loyal and love the ride they have. I don't think they really give a shiite about who's going to pass them down the road. I wish the price on the new Max was a bit cheaper but then again I'd say we're pretty lucky to have a bike for that price with all of it's characteristics! There will always be a manufacturer that comes out with a new latest and greatest product that will decimate the competition, it's inevitable. If we want the fastest and most powerful bike on the planet, we will never have one because there will always be something just a bit better in short time!

I think all of you are right but bikes are becoming like computer chips once you buy it its out dated a year later I don't see another 20 year legacy in this one. I think those days are gone!

You may be right Herc, this bike is a beauty and I don't think any other bike will come close to this for styling and overall looks. As far as power, I'm sure it will be the champ for a very short time. We have to try and look passed that!

Ok you guys bitch about 18,000.00 for a state of the art motorcycle with incredible performance.
Harley riders arent bitching about there 20K+ junkers that have NO technoligy nor performance. They spend 20K in that type of style and mostly the name.
Bitch Bitch Bitch why dont they improve the VMAX why dont they make it faster, why dont they put good tires on it, why dont they get it to handle better...
Well here it is. front rear anti lock breaks, a 200 series rear tire, front and rear radials aluminum frame, electronic controlled intake timing, 200 HP geeze, Its still not fast enough... Hell the numbers arent even out of the performance, all we know it will do 143MPH in the 1/4 mile which is blowing all others out of the water in this class of motorcycle. How fast is the Warrior? How fast is that 2200CC Rocket, How fast is the M109, Dont you guys get it? Make some sense if your going to talk about the 09 VMAX..

Have you ever heard of Warranty? Why do you think they speed restricted all the sportbikes to 187 and below?

Its a sport cruiser!! If you want a low 9 second bike go buy a ZX14R go Buy a Hayabusa.

It would be like Honda making there Civic run with a Corvette, can they make a V-TEC engine that could compete with the LT350 Engine I am sure they can! Wake up, stop bitching its here with lots of changes that we all asked for, and its approved by the US for sales.

Well, don't get too carried away with the "state of the art" stuff as all the "state of the art" parts like electronic controlled intake, throttle by wire, anti lock brakes have been on the R1 for at least a year and costs a lot less.

Well, don't get too carried away with the "state of the art" stuff as all the "state of the art" parts like electronic controlled intake, throttle by wire, anti lock brakes have been on the R1 for at least a year and costs a lot less.

That's true, but what cruiser/standard bike are those things included with? An R1 is an completely different kind of motorcycle and is expected to have that kind of tech on it. For this type of motorcycle its far ahead of its time and i like having the tech without laying down on a bike or waiting until 9 grand to reach my power band.

The point has already been made, but I'll make it again. The VMAX is a cruiser ... a sport cruiser yes, but a cruiser. I know it's numbers make you want to compare it to top sport bikes, but that's just not a valid comparison. Somebody throw numbers up on the VRod and the Vulcan ... or some other sport cruisers... that is the only type of comparison that's even remotely valid.

Then get on your vmax and go ride through a rally, any rally. I don't care if its rocket jocks or the Hell's Angels. A Vmax DEMANDS respect in every venue, and is perfectly at home either keeping up or straight up out performing any bike it's likely to end up on the road with.

If you like Busas, buy one. If you like Harley, buy one. I like VMax, so I got two and I'm going to buy an '09 the second I am able to.

The point has already been made, but I'll make it again. The VMAX is a cruiser ... a sport cruiser yes, but a cruiser. I know it's numbers make you want to compare it to top sport bikes, but that's just not a valid comparison. Somebody throw numbers up on the VRod and the Vulcan ... or some other sport cruisers... that is the only type of comparison that's even remotely valid.

Then get on your vmax and go ride through a rally, any rally. I don't care if its rocket jocks or the Hell's Angels. A Vmax DEMANDS respect in every venue, and is perfectly at home either keeping up or straight up out performing any bike it's likely to end up on the road with.

If you like Busas, buy one. If you like Harley, buy one. I like VMax, so I got two and I'm going to buy an '09 the second I am able to.

Very good points, I couldn't have said it better myself!!:thumbs up:

ss, I get what you're saying, to a degree, but someone needs to explain to me why the B-King, Hayabusa and VMax are in different classes. Why is one a "cruiser", and one a sport bike? These bikes compete in the same places, on the street and at the drag strip. That's it.

You might make the case the Busa is a sport bike because of its seating position, but you'd lose that argument with the B-King....a bike that's clearly a standard just like the VMax.

If the Max loses at the drag strip to the Busa, B-King or ZX-14, I think it's a huge cop out to say, "Well, they're in a different class." If the Max wins at the drag strip, it will be a cop out for the Suzuki or Kawi guys to say, "Well, it's not a sport bike.."

Might as well get on board that these bikes are all going to be run against each other, side by side at the drag strip, without regard to anything. Somewhere buried in the text of the article, you'll probably find that the one bike handled better than the other, but no one will care. It will be the winner at the drag strip that will be made King.

Should be fun this fall to see this all go down.

So does this mean that if a B-King beats the Max at the strip that you're going to buy a B-King then?

I really don't give a shit either way, the Max is what it is, the most unique bike on the planet in my opinion! I want one whether it beats a King or not. As I have said before, if the new Max will be THE king of the road, it will be short lived as someone will introduce a faster / more powerful ride in very short time. No other manufacturer is going to let the Max be king for long, everyone wants glory so they are going to work their asses off to build a better bike. I just feel priveledged and honored that I've been able to have the time of my life on my Max for the last 9 years and look forward to many more with my current or a new Max!!

So does this mean that if a B-King beats the Max at the strip that you're going to buy a B-King then?

How in the world did you get that out of what I posted? I don't really give a crap who wins with an anorexic quick-twitch guy on the bikes at the strip. It will be fun to watch, but I wouldn't make a buying decision on which bike gets there 0.1 or 0.2-seconds faster. It's just good theater.

I'm just noting that some people are trying to classify the VMax as being part of some unique class of bike, a class made up of VRods and M109s that Yamaha will clearly dominate. I don't find a distinction, from a class standpoint, between these high end speedsters as some do. I say line the Max up against the Busa, ZX-14, B-King and others and let the fastest bike win. Then, let that bike wear the crown and not have the loser sit back and say, "Well, those bikes are in a different class." Seems like a huge cop-out to me.

ride the busa in town for a couple of hours and see what your wrist feel like. or ride the busa at 80/100 mph for an hour behind its fairing and you will believe that the bikes were built for different purposes. as far as the king is concerned, i think it was built as a standard too.

How in the world did you get that out of what I posted?

Sorry, I'm just in a really crappy mood today, I didn't mean to imply that. There are some attitudes in these forums that indicate "Well if the new Max won't beat a B-King on the strip then why would I want a new Max. Might as well buy the B-King". Or my favorite, "With a little more money I can add more power on a B-King or Busa and it will easily beat a new Max and will still be cheaper than a new Max". FFS!! Then do it!! My heart is and always will be with the Vmax whether it makes or breaks at the strip. Hopefully we can see some good numbers very soon. Who is getting their new Max first? Get it on the strip and post some numbers!! :biglaugh:

This then should hopefully calm down the many that are having doubts!

Sorry, I'm just in a really crappy mood today, I didn't mean to imply that. There are some attitudes in these forums that indicate "Well if the new Max won't beat a B-King on the strip then why would I want a new Max. Might as well buy the B-King". Or my favorite, "With a little more money I can add more power on a B-King or Busa and it will easily beat a new Max and will still be cheaper than a new Max". FFS!! Then do it!! My heart is and always will be with the Vmax whether it makes or breaks at the strip. Hopefully we can see some good numbers very soon. Who is getting their new Max first? Get it on the strip and post some numbers!! :biglaugh:

This then should hopefully calm down the many that are having doubts!

No worries. Hell, I'd have a new Max on order if it weren't for all those places screaming for more money...like college tuition for my son...and lap dances for me. :biglaugh: I just know it's gonna kill me this fall when the new Max starts showing up on the street, and I'm eating at Burger King. :biglaugh:

But, let's just line 'em up, forget the class distinctions...as they're kinda nebulous anyway once you get past the 1k sport bikes, and just see who's faster and let the winner reign.

Back