GEN 2 side stand issue...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HDKILA

Reaction score
Hi Gang,

As some of you know I just bought a brand new 2018 vmax a few months ago. I noticed that my side stand being up or down doesn't make a difference on if the bike is running or not...not exactly a good thing. I have a 5 year warranty but already figured out that the side stand isn't pushing the little plunger piece in or out...it just stays out, which I am assuming makes the bike think the side stand is up...does anyone know how to remedy this? I took a pic...did the dealer maybe install it incorrectly?

56823266_10156439377066775_5973915671803723776_n.jpg

Upon further exam it would seem I’m missing a C clip that holds the top part of the bracket on correctly. It shifts to the side on the way up it would appear without the C clip. Can anyone confirm if there is a C clip on that piece. I’ve highlighted it in yellow below. If so what size C clip would I need?

6D7F53F0-F861-4054-9FE3-13A0A005D1ED.jpeg

hmmmm….found this diagram and i'm not seeing a C clip(it's where part number 6 goes into part 11 below)...anybody have any thoughts on this?

untitled.png

Here are some photos....sorry I'm working on my phone and its hard for me to see what the difference may be because my photos are from a different angle than yours. One photo is the stand down one the stand is up and one is in between.

IMG_20190408_211750.jpg IMG_20190408_211650.jpg IMG_20190408_211620.jpg

So the rubber sleeve needs to be over the piece that holds the plunger???
No I don't think that's a big deal....
It looks like your plunger has hopped past the part that's supposed to push in the switch plunger. You may have to take the spring off and reassemble. Takes a little muscle and make sure you don't shoot it across the garage. That's the best I can tell looking at these photos on my phone.... I could give it a better look tomorrow on my PC.

No I don't think that's a big deal....
It looks like your plunger has hopped past the part that's supposed to push in the switch plunger. You may have to take the spring off and reassemble. Takes a little muscle and make sure you don't shoot it across the garage. That's the best I can tell looking at these photos on my phone.... I could give it a better look tomorrow on my PC.
I concur

I’ve taken it all apart a few times now. The plunger isn’t the problem. The problem is the piece that pushes the plunger in and out with the movement of the side stand seems to shift on the way up slightly causing the plunger to wiggle past. That’s why I’m wondering is the rubber sleeve on the spring being pushed up higher like yours would fix it. That would most likely keep that piece from flexing at all and prevent the plunger from pushing around it. Here’s a video....

I’ve taken it all apart a few times now. The plunger isn’t the problem. The problem is the piece that pushes the plunger in and out with the movement of the side stand seems to shift on the way up slightly causing the plunger to wiggle past. That’s why I’m wondering is the rubber sleeve on the spring being pushed up higher like yours would fix it. That would most likely keep that piece from flexing at all and prevent the plunger from pushing around it. Here’s a video....

No....I'm thinking there must be adjustment in the switch mounting. Your switch is not lined up with cam piece. That piece rides in the groove so it in the correct position.

Back