Gen 1 V-Max exhaust, a modern thread.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klutch14u

Reaction score
Been lurking for a few years, finally bought an '04 V-Max this past week with 2500 original miles on it. I'm looking at exhaust options, with 20+ years of history, it's tough to tell what exhaust options actually exist in 2023 for the Gen 1. Seems so many makers of old have gone out of business, been gobbled up by a bigger fish or just plain quit making Gen 1 pipes. Ideally, I'd like slip-ons as I understand jetting isn't required and I can keep the center stand. After purchasing the bike, I don't have a lot leftover for exhaust so budget is a concern. I'd at least like to learn what options are actually still available as the information is vast but possibly outdated.

Been lurking for a few years, finally bought an '04 V-Max this past week with 2500 original miles on it. I'm looking at exhaust options, with 20+ years of history, it's tough to tell what exhaust options actually exist in 2023 for the Gen 1. Seems so many makers of old have gone out of business, been gobbled up by a bigger fish or just plain quit making Gen 1 pipes. Ideally, I'd like slip-ons as I understand jetting isn't required and I can keep the center stand. After purchasing the bike, I don't have a lot leftover for exhaust so budget is a concern. I'd at least like to learn what options are actually still available as the information is vast but possibly outdated.
I have cobra’s and yes you lose some ponies and the center stand, but i love the look and the sound.

Like Kyle said, Supertrapps, maybe Delkevics, or call-up and order something from Mark's.

I agree that Cobra's look cool, but the sacrifice in performance and soggy throttle response are things which make them a 'no-sale' for me.

Like Kyle said, Supertrapps, maybe Delkevics, or call-up and order something from Mark's.

I agree that Cobra's look cool, but the sacrifice in performance and soggy throttle response are things which make them a 'no-sale' for me.
My throttle response is still perfect and the bike runs perfect minus the ponies wich honestly does make or break me, since i have a 2012 wich is way faster than my 99 👍 we all have different taste i love that about vmax guys

has anyone dyno the blackwidow exhaust system?
do they lose or gain from others?
do you have to re tune to get them to work correctly?

Is the current exhaust shot or are you looking for a better sound. If sound just drill 5 1/4 holes in each exhaust baffle. Pretty simple and brings out a nice rumble and sound.

Most slip-ons will maitain stock performance levels just with less weight and more sound then the stock mufflers. The Cobra's are about the only system that will lose power (there are a few others that also do the 4-4's which you want to avoid if performance matters to you).

The full systems are the only type that will give a potential power increase. Some work with the centerstand and some don't (like the Kerker). Many are discontinued (Kerker and Voodoo). Some are about to be discontinued (like the Marks). I still have the new Hindles we offer and the Muscle Marks until those run out. I've also got a few used systems around here.

*Note, the Delkevic may appear that they offer a full system but it's module to the stock system so it's not going to give any performance gain (or loss).

85 to 93 is typically slightly smaller dia tubing compared to later models. Aftermarket might not follow this.
Incorrect. ALL gen 1's share the same size exhaust components which can be mixed and matched as you desire.
The Kerker's that were purcahsed will work just fine for all years gen 1s

What is different is the VBoost dia. on the 1986-'07 when they made an adjustment because the 1985 exhaust was found to be non-compliant. They 'boosted' the dia. slightly to maintain the power when the exhaust became slightly more-restrictive.

Incorrect. ALL gen 1's share the same size exhaust components which can be mixed and matched as you desire.
The Kerker's that were purcahsed will work just fine for all years gen 1s
Ok, my bad. A friend of mine has had his 85 since new and he told me this. This was back in Finland.

Ok, my bad. A friend of mine has had his 85 since new and he told me this. This was back in Finland.
As was mentioned. The 85's have slightly larger exhaust openings then the 86-07's. To compensate for the 2mm smaller openings, Yamaha decided to enlarge the vboost butterflies in the 86-07's. SO, with stock parts to get max potential you would want to use the 86-07 butterlfies with 85 mufflers.
Some countries restricted other parts like the slides on the carbs (preventing them from fully opening) as well as some other electrical changes.

Now I'm considering going with the SRP StreetPro (4>2) system (formerly UFO). I absolutely love the sound of it, was a little hesitant about it being too loud but now I'm thinking screw it. I have a drop in K&N already, would a simple rejet be the only other thing I'd have to do? Do you HAVE to go stage 7 (I think that's what I've seen it called) where you have to open the vboost full time?

Turn on the ignition, and when the VBoost cycles fully-open, unplug the round connector behind the left aluminum scoop. Voila, open VBoost permanently. When you need to synch the carbs, plug in that VBoost wire connector for the stepper motor, and do your synchronization.

Stage 7 is what Dynojet calls their most-complete jet kit. Sean Morley has his Morley's Muscle jet kit. There are other jet kits like Factory Pro.

Turn on the ignition, and when the VBoost cycles fully-open, unplug the round connector behind the left aluminum scoop. Voila, open VBoost permanently. When you need to synch the carbs, plug in that VBoost wire connector for the stepper motor, and do your synchronization.

Stage 7 is what Dynojet calls their most-complete jet kit. Sean Morley has his Morley's Muscle jet kit. There are other jet kits like Factory Pro.

Well, that's easy enough. Is stage 7 or equivalent a must with the StreetPro?

I'm suggesting you investigate Sean Morley's kit, Morley's Muscle. It's an intake system for getting the most out of your new complete exhaust system. It's designed by him to provide a boost in riding enjoyment with a strong mid-range, with a decent top-end. You spend most of your time in the mid-range so why not get your ride dialed-in for that? The plus is, you get to ask Sean Morley about getting it done right, so if you have questions along the way, he will answer your questions.

Back