good vmax mechanic in Edmond Oklahoma area

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, was wondering if anyone knows of a good mechanic for first Gen in the Edmond Oklahoma area. Its a suburb just north of Oklahoma City. I do some stuff myself but at time just want to get it done and pay a mechanic. lately tired to get the leaking front forks redone on a new to me 1st Gen bike. Got it back and still leaked. took it in to get them to fix their work and when I got it back (6 weeks later and them parking it outside in the weather in a bull pen) it was even worse than before. Fluid everywhere and dripping after a short ride. So not really wanting to give them my business nor even ask them to fix it again (fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me).

So either I find a new mechanic or I watch Sean's daughter on Youtube again servicing the front forks. Yes, a young lady was willing to take on the job I'm afraid of :).

thanks for any pointers.

Brett

What year is it? What parts did they use?
it is a 02, that overall is in pretty nice condition. does not look abused, just some deferred Maintenance. I don't know what parts they used. They said they ordered "new seals". When it leaked after getting it back the first time, the owner said his helper put the seal in upside down and he would need to order new seals to do it over. after weeks, said it was taking so long because the parts had to come from japan ... blah blah blah. I eventually pointed out Babbits had all the parts in stock so I didn't understand the hold up. suddenly the parts arrived. They redid it, I drove it off, son went on a short ride a few days later, fluid dripping from the front right disc and had even slung off onto the fender and was dripping off the aft edge of front fender and the caliper ... nice drip pattern on the garage floor from the disc to the back of the fender and off the tire. even pooled on the wheel when parked. I separated the caliper from the wheel to make sure it was not the caliper leaking, and it isn't. Ill put the caliper back on this weekend and take for a short ride and see if I can see the leak, but pretty sure it is coming out the top of the front right strut. Son said he could see it bubbling out when he rode it.

regarding parts, I asked if he was going to use progressive springs ... he just said "nah, ill get better than those". bottom line I trusted and that was a mistake.

asside from this mess, looking for a new mechanic in case I need to have rings or valves done in the 98, or need the shims done in either. I think the 98 has low compression, im going to get a better gauge and check again this weekend. and I suspect the 98 needs shims. I think the 98 had a rough life. at any rate, I need to check the clearance on both just to see the condition. Im not sure I want to get into that myself. I hear the shims can be tricky. you can probably tell im new to working on these engines. probably butchered terminology.

Last edited:
Hi all, was wondering if anyone knows of a good mechanic for first Gen in the Edmond Oklahoma area. Its a suburb just north of Oklahoma City. I do some stuff myself but at time just want to get it done and pay a mechanic. lately tired to get the leaking front forks redone on a new to me 1st Gen bike. Got it back and still leaked. took it in to get them to fix their work and when I got it back (6 weeks later and them parking it outside in the weather in a bull pen) it was even worse than before. Fluid everywhere and dripping after a short ride. So not really wanting to give them my business nor even ask them to fix it again (fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me).

So either I find a new mechanic or I watch Sean's daughter on Youtube again servicing the front forks. Yes, a young lady was willing to take on the job I'm afraid of :).

thanks for any pointers.

Brett
Only public vmax mech I know is mouse at A&A Yamaha. He's owned a Vmax before. So he's familiar with them. On 15th st I believe. You can Google him

Only public vmax mech I know is mouse at A&A Yamaha. He's owned a Vmax before. So he's familiar with them. On 15th st I believe. You can Google him
That's in okc

thanks for any pointers.

Brett
I live in Moore. I have a 85 also. Working on turbo/EFI with intercoolers. Have plenty of parts also if you need anything

You might also want to check with Chris Wedman at Wedman Motorsports. He serviced my 1997 Vmax and I plan to take my 2009 Vmax to him also. Chris Wedman --- Wedman Motorsports --- 9005 NW 10th Street, OKC --- 405-440-1900
Chris races and services drag strip bikes and sometimes is out of town for racing. Feel free to call or text me. Fuzzy 405-210-3311 NW OKC

You might also want to check with Chris Wedman at Wedman Motorsports. He serviced my 1997 Vmax and I plan to take my 2009 Vmax to him also. Chris Wedman --- Wedman Motorsports --- 9005 NW 10th Street, OKC --- 405-440-1900
Chris races and services drag strip bikes and sometimes is out of town for racing. Feel free to call or text me. Fuzzy 405-210-3311 NW OKC
thanks fuzzy!!

Back