I broke down today!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately not, I just received the new plugs/plug wires in the mail today and I've not even tried those yet. I'll install those and see what happens. I'll keep posted.

Once you do get it in top nick again, you may want to think about a Raptor shift light... These things don't like to have their tits twisted and don't sport rev limiters like the SV and the like.

Installed the new plugs/wires, the bike starts quicker and idles better, but still sounds like it's missing a little bit and the no power issue and engine chatter is still there. Nothing really changed :confused2: I'm no mechanic, unfortunately, so I guess I'll have to take it to the dealer and get raped on repair costs. I thought about just selling it the way it sets, because I'm frustrated.

Have you asked about this on the vmoatech list or vmaxchat tech list? Maybe they can give you some other ideas?

I guess I'm going to sell it the way it sets. It may not be a big deal to fix, but the shops around here want $70hr labor and say they don't have time this summer to tear into it. I called both Yamaha dealers and a couple of local bike shops.

If anybody is interested. It's 4 sale.

It ran awesome before this and still idles and revs like nothing is wrong, but when you put it in gear and ride it, you can hear a slight chattering and a loss of power.

It's a 94 model and in pristine condition with virtually no scratches and absolutely never wrecked or dropped.

I remember this thread, but it's been a while. Did you do a compression check ? If it's good . I'd then take the plugs out and put it in gear on the center stand and spin the back wheel, in all gears - it may help you norrow it down a bit more to what's wrong before you decide sell it. Just my 2 cents worth.
If you can't figure it out then....
At least let them ( dealer ) give you an estimate, if the bike is in really nice shape apart from your problem, you will be more likely to get a buyer and a better selling price if you know what is wrong and the cost of getting it fixed.

Latest posts

Back