Installed Forward Controls

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pepper109

Reaction score
I have to say I installed forward controls today. The difference is amazing. Having a bad hip and long legs, and big feet was keeping me from riding. Shout out to Craig West at RefinedCycle. I bought the FC9 model which wasn't offered in powdercoat black. I shot them an email asking about the black ones. After deciding I wanted them anyway, I pulled the trigger. A day later Craig emailed me and said they would do set in black for me. Outstanding customer service. Simple install and got some Vboost today!

Pics please.

I've been wondering how forward controls would work on a Gen 1. I'm 6 foot 1 and can't see how you could make them far enough away to be comfortable to use.

I am 6'2 with a 34 inseam. I've had other muscle bikes and cruisers, m109, Meanstreak, RoyalStar, even a gs1150e, but this is the most comforable ride yet. I'll post some pics later today.

I have the same make F/Cs. That black finish wasn't available back when I got them, looks good.
I drilled out all the the frame mount hardware from 8 to 10mm as well as the foot pegs,
then cut and re-welded the brake linkage rod mount, front and back to run below
the clutch basket housing.

Attachments

• RE Size 1 (2).jpg
    RE Size 1 (2).jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 77
Nicely done! The riding position feels so much better on my hips. I would like to install some solid motor mounts as well for some handling improvements.

I am 6’w as everyone else that posted. I have Seeger all steel setup. Once you ride it, you will get the relief you seek. I have stock set up on my other Maxes and transitioning is a mental exercise to get used to stock again. There is the issue of wind blast when hitting higher speeds and it catches your pant legs. Sorta caught me off guard the first time or two.

Looks great! I did the exact same thing 2 years ago after I bought a Ducati XDiavel and really enjoyed the forward controls. No lack of riding issues and my knees feel so much better. Like a new bike and one of the reasons I wont let it go! I did not make any mods but just tightened the linkages and re-added some thread lock. Enjoy!

The riding position feels so much better on my hips.
That's where I get bad cramps. My back has been worked on several times and as a result I get these horrific cramps right in my hip joints.

If you're ever riding with me and see me sticking my leg straight out regardless of speed you know what's going on.

That seating position looks like it would be a big step in the right position.

Would you mind my asking how much that set you back?

That's where I get bad cramps. My back has been worked on several times and as a result I get these horrific cramps right in my hip joints.

If you're ever riding with me and see me sticking my leg straight out regardless of speed you know what's going on.

That seating position looks like it would be a big step in the right position.

Would you mind my asking how much that set you back?
The RefinedCycle FC9 kit was $320, it didn't come with toe pegs or foot pegs so you could buy them separately yourself or with the kit for an extra $60.

I bought and fitted some Refined Cycle forwards and they are easy and straightforward to fit. I broke 6 vertebrae in the middle of my back and I couldn't ride my Gen 1 without forwards. At 70 years old I want to keep riding until I shed this mortal coil. I changed the bars for higher ones and now everything is set right for comfort and safety. Ride on brothers and sisters!!!

The RefinedCycle FC9 kit was $320, it didn't come with toe pegs or foot pegs so you could buy them separately yourself or with the kit for an extra $60.
Thanks!

By the way, I just noticed we're wearing the same Sketchers.

Attachments

• 20201130_114915.jpg
    20201130_114915.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 12
Thanks!

By the way, I just noticed we're wearing the same Sketchers.
Hahahahaha! I guess as we get older comfort becomes a very high priority! Keep on riding, at 79 my father was a hardcore biker. He passed from heat stroke summer of 2019 in Arizona, his baby was a RoyalStar Tour deluxe. I inherited it with 82k on it. Cross country was common for him.

At 70 years old I want to keep riding until I shed this mortal coil.
..and long may it continue. Let's hope we can all match Vale Onslow.

Leonard Leslie Hubert Vale-Onslow (2 May 1900 – 23 April 2004) was a motorcycle builder. He invented the SOS racing bike in 1926. He repaired and test-rode motorbikes and lived above one of his shops in Birmingham, England

He continued to ride until the age of 102. He died in 2004, shortly before his 104th birthday.

..and long may it continue. Let's hope we can all match Vale Onslow.

Leonard Leslie Hubert Vale-Onslow (2 May 1900 – 23 April 2004) was a motorcycle builder. He invented the SOS racing bike in 1926. He repaired and test-rode motorbikes and lived above one of his shops in Birmingham, England

He continued to ride until the age of 102. He died in 2004, shortly before his 104th birthday.
Respect!!!!

Nice! I had a loose clutch lever , that soft aluminum must have been levered on and made the hole out of round. I ended up drilling it out and putting in a brass sleeve/bearing to take up the slack. Those levers are nice!

You have an issue here - see that link near the m/c? The threaded rod is bent, and potentially liable to bend further and snap, right when you need it...

Attachments

• IMG_2706.PNG
    IMG_2706.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
Back