Intake manifold torque & thread lock

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F 18 Driver

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

First, I can't seem to find the proper amount of torque to apply to the bolts that connect carburetor joint 1(item 1 displayed in picture below ) to the head

Second, I also need to inquire as to what type of thread lock that should be applied to bolts prior to torque down of carburetor joint 1

Lastly, the service manual that I downloaded doesn't seem to make any reference to carburetor joint 1 and its torque value. Is there a more comprehensive manual available for download?

Carburetor joint 1(1FK-13586-00-00) is the factory name:

I would reference and describe the part as; right front intake manifold

Please advise.

Thank you, in advance for your time and consideration

F-18 driver
carburetor joint..png

Last edited:
1696597235202.png

Look at 'carb joint.' 7.2 ft/lb M6 x 1.0 thread bolt, 8 of 'em. I dunno if you need threadlocker. if you do use it, blue, not red.

Wow Fire–medic:

Are you the librarian for the lost library of Alexandria?

You seem to have all the answers for the V-max…

Thank you, very much for taking your time to forward the information to me.

F-16 driver

If you torque them to spec you shouldn't need thread lock but...
On the LH front cylinder head stub you will need to apply some sealer under the head of the LH fastener as thread is nor blind (i.e. it goes into an oilway).
Same for the RH rear sub outer fastener.

Wow Fire–medic:

Are you the librarian for the lost library of Alexandria?

You seem to have all the answers for the V-max…

Thank you, very much for taking your time to forward the information to me.

F-16 driver
That's why I try to post the link to the factory service manual, so we all can use it to work on our bikes. I make a point that reading the manual from front to back, to familiarize yourself with the layout of the manual is one of the best things a VMax owner can do. The first 64pp. are the annual service updates, then starts the manual by part of the bike. At the end is the Appendix. That has the threads and nut/bolt sizes, and torque values for both metric and Imperial systems. It also has many other useful pieces of information, and if you take a look there, you probably will recall something like, "I remember seeing the cable routing in the Appendix!" when you need to do that type of work. Take a look and acquaint yourself with the contents, and then you'll be beating me to the answers.

Back