Is this possible?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of painting engines: Now that I got my Max almost perfect mechanically (tires tomorrow) I need to work on cosmetics. Any tips on cleaning/painting engine parts without removing the engine? I'm not about to tear it apart now...I'm about to ride the heck out of it!!!! Attached is a not so great pic but I think you'll get the idea (paint worn off, corroded paint, the front brake master cylinder looks terrible, corroded polished aluminum including the scoops etc.)

IMG_1388.jpg

Sadly, things like the brake master cyl, clutch master cyl, the scoops, you need to remove 'em to get decent results. I use aircraft stripper to remove any clearcoat from something like the scoops. Then it's up to you about polishing and a re-clearcoat. Yes, it all takes time. The master cylinders you really need to remove the old, because if you don't, they will soon fail (the finish, not the function).

You've got the old gloss paint. That's a tough row to hoe. Pulling it, blasting it and repainting it is really the only way to go because you're never going to match that old gloss black by spot shooting it. I'd leave it be until you're ready to bite the bullet and go all in.

Pretty much anything you do is going to be mismatched and look bad.

You've got the old gloss paint. That's a tough row to hoe. Pulling it, blasting it and repainting it is really the only way to go because you're never going to match that old gloss black by spot shooting it. I'd leave it be until you're ready to bite the bullet and go all in.

Pretty much anything you do is going to be mismatched and look bad.
Maybe I’ll just leave it all and call it patina…lol

Maybe I’ll just leave it all and call it patina…lol
That's the ticket.

I've seen a couple guys try to "touch up" the engine and it just looked terrible. The road wear gives it character. A bad paint patch job just looks...well...like a bad patch paint job.

On the calipers and clutch/brake masters though, if you're not up to refinishing them and the like, Sean Morley does them on an exchange basis. He'll strip them, repaint them or powder coat or chrome them, rebuild them and send them back.

You can check out some pricing here:

https://www.morleysmuscle.com/product/brake-clutch-master-cylinders/
https://www.morleysmuscle.com/product/oem-rear-caliper-exchanged/
Or email him at [email protected] and ask him about it.

That's the ticket.

I've seen a couple guys try to "touch up" the engine and it just looked terrible. The road wear gives it character. A bad paint patch job just looks...well...like a bad patch paint job.

On the calipers and clutch/brake masters though, if you're not up to refinishing them and the like, Sean Morley does them on an exchange basis. He'll strip them, repaint them or powder coat or chrome them, rebuild them and send them back.

You can check out some pricing here:

https://www.morleysmuscle.com/product/brake-clutch-master-cylinders/
https://www.morleysmuscle.com/product/oem-rear-caliper-exchanged/
Or email him at [email protected] and ask him about it.
Thanks for the info!!

I have done a few in frame engine paint jobs that turned out pretty nice but it is really a pain & tons of crap to take off . If you want to do an in frame job with a good single stage paint I would suggest Eastwoods Ceramic engine paint.

Last edited:
I have done a few in frame engine paint jobs that turned out pretty nice but it is really a paint & tons of crap to take off . If you want to do an in frame job with a good single stage paint I would suggest sending the bike to me so I can take care of it with my vast experience and well stocked shop.

Fixed. :)

LOL that works to once I get rid of this back log of work I have that has been sitting here waiting on my eye to heal
Oh yeah, how’s the eye doing? I have a buddy going through the same thing and he needs cornea replacement along with the retina work.
Maryville is only about 4 hours from me. I could drop it off if I decide to do it. That’s well in the future. Hope you recover fully soon Captain!!

Oh yeah, how’s the eye doing? I have a buddy going through the same thing and he needs cornea replacement along with the retina work.
Maryville is only about 4 hours from me. I could drop it off if I decide to do it. That’s well in the future. Hope you recover fully soon Captain!!
It is much better only a tiny bit of the gas bubble left. I think these doctors have the timing down pat ! I go back to the doc on the 30th so hopefully good then and I can put a contact back in & then get my eyes rechecked and get back up glasses
I'm just a fuddy-duddy Ole' Guy, BUT do it right and let healing take it's time. Your are much needed and appreciated here. .... 👍
Thank you ! I have been going stir crazy. I actually got out and rode against doctors advice but it helped some

Great to hear Captain!!! Did you have to keep your head down 24/7 and not look up for the first few weeks?
No I heard about people having to do that. I only had to keep it down a day & could only sleep on my right side for a week . I would have had to borrow a massage table from my back being broke the 3 times & my messed up disc in my neck the one day almost killed me.

Back