Just joined the club!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpareHimps

Reaction score
Just bought a 91 Vmax yesterday and loved every second of the ride home! I'm looking forward to soaking up all the knowledge in the forum. Thank you all in advance!

Attachments

• 20210605_201616.jpg
    20210605_201616.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 20210605_201610.jpg
    20210605_201610.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 34
Welcome, I suggest you start your education here: (73) New Vmax Owner FAQs....new members please read! | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

To your advantage, you have the newer CDI box, but you're two years-away from the upgrade in brakes and suspension, (1993-2007).

And, thank-you for posting your location, which helps when seeking parts or advice, or perhaps another member for sharing ride-time.

That's a good-looking ride, I like the tasteful addition of chrome, and you have the OEM accessories of the sissybar, and the case-savers. You have an easy $1,000 of upgrades there.

Welcome, I suggest you start your education here: (73) New Vmax Owner FAQs....new members please read! | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

To your advantage, you have the newer CDI box, but you're two years-away from the upgrade in brakes and suspension, (1993-2007).

And, thank-you for posting your location, which helps when seeking parts or advice, or perhaps another member for sharing ride-time.

That's a good-looking ride, I like the tasteful addition of chrome, and you have the OEM accessories of the sissybar, and the case-savers. You have an easy $1,000 of upgrades there.
Thanks for the link. Read it all and it was very helpful. Went out and put air in the suspension and it's even better!

Some people are 'anti-air in the front forks,' but the only way that works for me is with aftermarket springs. If it's a stock front end, then I need air in the forks, and using air makes a huge difference for me, as I am well-above 200 lbs ready to ride. I would describe my riding style as 'enthusiastic,' and I see that red light flicker.

Digest more info in the 'frequently asked questions' and the 'how-to,' and you will find ideas to make your bike meet your style of riding, and how to address issues which commonly-arise. Not-jumping out of second gear is a big one. That's usually case-splitting time, and I suspect your parts prices to fix it properly, with new parts, will be many hundreds of dollars. Add the machining cost of undercutting the gears to prevent it from happening again, and yes, you probably will have $1,000+ invested: gears, shift drum, shift forks, and machine work, a set of gaskets.

@Fire-medic it stays in 2nd pretty well so far. I did see the issues and potential solutions posted. Always nice to have some low cost starter ideas instead of jumping right to major spending.

Glad 2nd gear is OK. That's a big one, if you cannot do it yourself.

Latest posts

Back