Michigan license plate law

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManicMike

Reaction score
257.225 Registration plate; attachment to vehicle; legibility; color; distinctive registration plates; name plate, insignia, or advertising device; limitation; historic military vehicle; violation as civil infraction.
Sec. 225. (1) Except as otherwise provided in this subsection and subsection (6), a registration plate issued for a vehicle shall be attached to the rear of the vehicle. A registration plate issued for a truck tractor or road tractor shall be attached to the front of the vehicle.
(2) A registration plate shall at all times be securely fastened in a horizontal position to the vehicle for which the plate is issued so as to prevent the plate from swinging. The plate shall be attached at a height of
Rendered Thursday, March 20, 2014 Page 45 Michigan Compiled Laws Complete Through PA 33 of 2014  Legislative Council, State of Michigan Courtesy of www.legislature.mi.gov:damn angry:

What is the legislation about? I read that there was a proposal to mount plates on the front and back of cars/ trucks; motorcycles exempt.
Edit: I found it, no more vertical plates then. I have a small utility trailer that the only way to mount is vertically (on the LH fender), I don't use it much so hopefully I can get by with it like that.

Last edited:
... another state to ride scofflaw in. My TX plate is mounted vertically. Thankfully, our Police must prove the ability to read top to bottom to qualify for the Academy.

NY State Motorcycle Requirements are listed here:
http://www.troopers.ny.gov/Publications/Traffic_Safety/Required_Motorcycle_Equipment.cfm
LICENSE PLATE*
Must be illuminated and visible for 50 feet
Must be “conspicuously displayed at the rear of the motorcycle”, Securely Attached, not swinging.
Must be securely mounted between 12 - 48 inches from the ground (when reasonable)
Must be clean and easily readable with no plastic or synthetic covering, may be mounted vertically.

*Applies to all motorcycles operated in this state (does not matter what state the motorcycle is registered in).

So ours can be mounted Vertically as long as it is well lit and at least 12 Inches from the ground.

Back