Need Direction

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GT390

Reaction score
I have a 1991 V-Max, I had not started it for about 2 years.
It will start with the choke on, and idle on it's own. But it will not run with the choke off, and you can not give it additional throttle.
Fuel is coming out the outlet of the fuel pump, I assume it is not under pressure, and that it kind of requires some vacum from the operation of the carbs. For checking purposes, I have removed the air filter/air box, and the top of the carb's are exposed. Is there anything I should check before I jump into taking the carb's off? I also have a 1985 V-Max that also has not been started for several years same symptoms, but could be different issue. For now I will focus on the 1991. Ant suggestions or comments are welcome.:confused2:

Drain the float bowls into a glass jar or white cup. There will be junk in there. Search on here for the shotgun and peashooter. Try those first. You probably have clogged pilot jets (they're tiny) and emulsion tubes. Those two processes may save you. If not, you're gonna be taking the carbs apart down to the jet block parts and cleaning everything out. Or.... Send them to dannymax and don't worry about it. Pay the money and reap the benefits of his expertise.

Posted with my thumbs.

Thanks!
If the carb's have to come off, I will most likely send them out.

GT390,
If you haven't removed the carbs as of yet I have had some success with force feeding carb cleaner (Berrymans B-12 from Auto Zone etc.) in the PAJ-1 jets while the engine is running. With your air box still removed get the bike started & maintain it running by means of the choke or a second person on the throttle, then attach the red straw that comes with each can locate it directly into each PAJ-1 jet & spray for just a second or two the engine will stumble allow it to recover then move on to the next carb. Hope this is some help it has worked for me as to clearing the pilot fuel circuits without having to remove the carb rack.

Back