oil oil oil

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thinking I might give the Rotella a shot too when the next change rolls around. The last change used up the last of the mobil 1 "4T" case the p/o included with the bike, and I'm just far too cheap to pay $12/quart for oil. After reading this article, it seems there actually might be some merit to the "heavy duty" oils, in that they contain higher levels of zinc than others. Scouring other forums (the "oil thread" is NOT a VMF exclusive topic by any means), it seems that Rotella keeps popping up again and again as a favorite in everything from harleys to hayabusas.

I just put the synthetic Rotella in my max, I'll give the regular stuff a shot next time. I run the regular Rotella in my 78 Chevy truck because it's got a flat tappet cam and after they took all the zinc out of regular oil I've heard of alot of guys wearing out their camshaft, don't know for sure if it was the oil that did it but I personally know 3 guys that it happened to and it just seems like more than a coincidence.

Shell T-6 Rotella 5-40W. Use it in my:

1. 2005 F-350 PowerStroke TurboDiesel
2. 2002 Honda CBR-1100XX
3. 1991 Yamaha Vmax
:punk:

My friend and co-worker is the original owner of a 2003 ZX12R and he swears by Shell Rotella T. He has 102,000 miles and counting (mostly freeway) and his engine and tranny are in great condition. I'm going to try it my next oil change and maybe finding neutral will be easier. I'm running Yamalube at the present and finding neutral when the bike is running, stopped and warmed up is a bitch.
Mike

Back