radiator cap

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
After doing a search (advanced) this is the thread I found w/the useful info:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=16260&highlight=radiator

It appears KJ had the # 1st, then 'std354,' then 'dannymax' contributed.

Now the tribulations: I tried Auto Zone and Advance Auto, Bennett Auto (SE FL chain) and NAPA. Guess which were useless, & which one had info and the item in-stock?

Useless:
Auto Zone: 'not available' :confused2:

Advance Auto: 'that # is for a gasket, how many do you want? No I do not show it being a radiator cap, it's a gasket, how-many do you want?' :bang head:

Bennett Auto: no listing, not available. :ummm:

And finally, NAPA: 'yes, it's for an Explorer, or a Mopar Sebring, or some KIA's. We have it in-stock. $7.69.' :clapping:

NAPA is farthest-away of these, but it is the only one that could cross-reference the cap after I gave them the Stant part # from the thread. I also tried a Gates # I found off the Stant website, and when I called NAPA there was also a NAPA cross-reference # on the Stant site too.

NAPA superseded the 703-1406 with a new #: 703-1712. FYI. The Gates # I gave 'em was 31336 & the Stant # from the thread was 10233.

From all of this I conclude:
a] parts house countermen are only capable of looking up something using the drop-down menus on their sites. They have difficulty doing a cross-reference.

b] Advance Auto and Auto Zone don't want to sell parts for FORD's or Mopars.

c] if you want to go to the Yamaha dealer, be prepared to spend probably $40 for a radiator cap. Bike Bandit lists it (#1149845) for $39.92.

d] the forum saves you $$!!!

e] thank-you to the members for the helpful info.

I already installed the cap & am going to take my bike for a shake-down ride, not too-fast, not too-far, I am doing a few mi. & then checking it over to go through what needs to be done to stop leaks & etc. The bike has needs and I 'need' to make sure it is safe and reliable before dropping the hammer too-much.

I am looking for a stock pair of mirrors, the tall shaft ones, not 'shorties,' I can't see past my shoulders w/o the taller ones. They measure ~6.5" from the base of the nut on the master cyl to the top opf the mirror stem casting, not the top of the mirror head; and ~4.5" from the inside vertical edge of the arm to the far edge of the socket casting on the mirror head. PM me if you have some, thanks.

After reading and asking many questions, I am finally going to be able to ride once-again my VMax and give my FZR1000 a break. Thank-you to the members for advice, parts, and encouragement, it has been so-much easier and fun using the forum. I will be making another modest donation to the forum in recognition of its value. :biglaugh:

Back