Running twin webers 40 idfs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yea, got tired of the standard carbs and all of the hassles that went with them.

Looks clean, are they DCOE's? Did you fab the intakes? Do you have them running with a tailpipe sniffer to get them well-adjusted?

Great job Brother Prosnap. Pics of intake? Any experience with weber copys? I can afford them. LOL sweet looking/sounding max.

Couple more questions Brother, Do your carbs have cold start circuit? And could you share set up? Nozzles, jets, centuries etc. Thanks

Couple more questions Brother, Do your carbs have cold start circuit? And could you share set up? Nozzles, jets, centuries etc. Thanks

I believe sandy klock means, "venturies," not "centuries." Another case of being bit by autocorrect.

Some in-focus pics of both sides, and of the adapters to VBoost manifold would be appreciated.

Thanks Brother Fire-Medic; Sometimes phone is too smart for its own good. I'm very interested in the fake webers. They make a couple of possible carbs that might work. I guess if no choke circuit ya just pump it rich with accelerator pump for cold start. I would also like to know how bike runs? Driveability, partial throttle smoothness, high gear roll ons and fuel mileage. Thanks ps. I don't see main jets in left carb. Alittle tuning?

Last edited:
If the fakes are out of China it will cost you more when you have to shitcan them and end up shelling out for a set of Webers or Dellortos anyway. I know it's spendy, I've purchased a few of each (authentics) in my air-cooled and H2O vee-dub days, although never on a Vmax.

Chinese quality control is shameful if it exists at all. I'm quick to beat this drum in hopes to save others form wasting hard-earned scratch as I did, more times than I care to admit. Also authentics have decent resalability, if you decide to revert or abort then you should be able to recover most of what was spent by reselling. The markup on Chinese stuff is just to high for some less ethical resellers to ignore, it's very much buyer beware. My vote is to plunk down the $$ and get known authentic carbs since you will likely end up having to do that eventually anyway.

Brother Casey; I asked seller where they are made. Factory is in HongKong but all their products are "designed and manufactured by their German engineers" exact words. So apparently they are holding German engineers hostage. Ha! shows how much ya know. LOL. All the reviews were in foreign language but had 4.5 stars.

Looks clean, are they DCOE's? Did you fab the intakes? Do you have them running with a tailpipe sniffer to get them well-adjusted?
I set the jetting by seat of the pants for performance. These carbs are super easy to work on because you can change out the jets without removing.

I believe sandy klock means, "venturies," not "centuries." Another case of being bit by autocorrect.

Some in-focus pics of both sides, and of the adapters to VBoost manifold would be appreciated.
I designed a custom intake that maintains the factory vboost. I will post some pics of the intake

Thanks Brother Fire-Medic; Sometimes phone is too smart for its own good. I'm very interested in the fake webers. They make a couple of possible carbs that might work. I guess if no choke circuit ya just pump it rich with accelerator pump for cold start. I would also like to know how bike runs? Driveability, partial throttle smoothness, high gear roll ons and fuel mileage. Thanks ps. I don't see main jets in left carb. Alittle tuning?
I it’s sort of a learning curve as far as specific timing. I learned that there is a transition fr the idle circuit to the mains as you throttle up is notacable. The is typical of these type of caburators. It is no very efficient as far as gas miliage is concerned but the vmax was never an efficient machine to begin with. I was looking for performance rather than efficiency. Other wise I would ride a scooter

I wrote a manual that shows setup and install also with the jet hole size that I am currently running

If the fakes are out of China it will cost you more when you have to shitcan them and end up shelling out for a set of Webers or Dellortos anyway. I know it's spendy, I've purchased a few of each (authentics) in my air-cooled and H2O vee-dub days, although never on a Vmax.

Chinese quality control is shameful if it exists at all. I'm quick to beat this drum in hopes to save others form wasting hard-earned scratch as I did, more times than I care to admit. Also authentics have decent resalability, if you decide to revert or abort then you should be able to recover most of what was spent by reselling. The markup on Chinese stuff is just to high for some less ethical resellers to ignore, it's very much buyer beware. My vote is to plunk down the $$ and get known authentic carbs since you will likely end up having to do that eventually anyway.
I couldn’t agree with you more. But before I put these carbs on I went thru a clean and check procedure that is very thorough. You just don’t throw them on after you buy them. I have the checkout procedure documented.

Brother Casey; I asked seller where they are made. Factory is in HongKong but all their products are "designed and manufactured by their German engineers" exact words. So apparently they are holding German engineers hostage. Ha! shows how much ya know. LOL. All the reviews were in foreign language but had 4.5 stars.

It really pains sellers/vendors to be cornered on where things are manufactured. I get this one now and again "We designed it here in house (USA) and oversaw Chinese production to ensure our own quality control standards are observed." Or, "It was made in China, BUT (insert justification here)". Never have any of these claims landed an adequate product in my hand. Not saying it cant happen, but has not happened to me.

I'm a cheap bastard, which means I have given the Chinese aftermarket plenty of chances and I've been overwhelmingly disappointed. There is a point where the savings is eaten up by the hassle and expense of getting to where I would have been had I just purchased a quality item up front. If your comfortable going into the carbs and doing inspection/adjustment/replacement of poorly machined parts you may be able to dial them in and use them. It sounds like installing them out of the box and having them work properly is but a hazy dream of times gone by haha. I took the liberty of doing some searching and reading as I was also curious as a long time Weber and Dellorto consumer. I found some random links, I was looking for discussion rather than straight up blanket bashing of Chinese products. China has a rich history of intellectual property theft, poor quality control, inferior materials and deceptive advertising/labeling. I'm glad you asked about this instead of whipping out your credit card. Betcha gonna save some $$ in the long run now.

Read the fine print of the sellers guarantee, if there is one. Maybe if you use a credit card you can invoke some of the seller protections if it does go badly. In full disclosure I have never owned a cloned Weber and I do have a fairly strong bias against Chinese imports of almost everything, based on experience and observed shocking lack of quality and consistency.

Maybe a used set that need going over would be a good option. Looks like a lot of buyers had to go over the new clones anyway to get them to work.

Please keep this updated, I'm betting for every person asking this Q there are 10 more reading it while considering the same thing.

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulleti...-Thinking-about-buying-a-weber-carb-Becareful!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/44857-anyone-heard-of-empi-hpmx-carbs/

https://ratsun.net/topic/62912-fake-weber/#comments

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=698263

I couldn’t agree with you more. But before I put these carbs on I went thru a clean and check procedure that is very thorough. You just don’t throw them on after you buy them. I have the checkout procedure documented.

I think that should be done even for the authentic models. I've read a few instances where replacing the guts, gaskets and jets with authentic items has worked out for some. Excellent point about inspecting and prepping them first. I'm not sure anything less would be prudent. I guess I missed it, but just for clarification, is your setup done with authentic Webers or clones? Either way that is a damn sexy setup. I never get sick of looking at a nice multi-Weber setup. Judging from the vid you have them working just fine.

Back