Rust in the float bowls

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piercems3

Reaction score
When I drained out the float bowls to winterize the vmax this year I noticed a fair bit of rust coming out of the left rear float bowl. The other bowls had little or no rust fragments. I refilled the bowls about 4 times and drained, and continued to get a little bit out of the left rear float bowl.

Is there a filter between the tank and the carburetors? If so, how would rust be accumulating in the float? The bike is immaculate overall, but I have not inspected the inside of the tank. What is the best way to inspect it? It is buried pretty good down under the seat with a pretty small opening.

Any advice is welcome!

If you remove the seat, you can see into the tank with a flash light. There is a drain on the bottom, but most likely it's time to re-coat the inside. There is a filter on top of the tank, right side, but like all filters it's a compromise between filtered particle size and longevity as well as flow. It's never 100% effective. There should be threads here on the coating procedure, as many members have coated the inside of their tanks. I'd drain the carb bowls a few times after you address the tank. Do a rebuild maybe. I bought a small medical type, USB camera, on E-Bay for $20, a few years back and its come in handy many times working on my ride. I even got a view of the dreaded orange o-ring with some wiggling and twisting.

I'd suggest coating your tank.. I've done 4 tanks so far.. 1 for me, and 3 I've sold.. The system I've had great success with is the KBS Tank Sealing kit. It takes a bit of prep work, but once you're done, you'll be happy with the results.. KEY IMPORTANCE: Follow the recommended steps and make NO shortcuts.. Also note: Since it takes a few days to fully cure, take that time to remove and fully clean your fuel pump, lines, filter, and clean your carbs out. Afterwards, you'll be a happy camper and you engine will like it too. Hint: If you go this route, go to Home Depot or Lowe's and ask them for about 2 feet of old style window sash chain. The sharp edges of the links makes for excellent removal of surface rust, and you can pull it out easily when you're done. Old style window shash chain.jpg

Back