Shaka Nynya sportscar

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
shaka%252007%2520mod.jpg

http://aada-african-car.blogspot.com/2009/04/shaka.html

I was at my friend's business (Competition Cycle Center, 1001 Old Griffin Rd. Dania Beach FL 33004 [email protected] ) and the guy who made this car arrived. He's a South African and designed this and built the prototypes. At this point, there's not much for stock on-hand, but it sure is an interesting ride! You notice no doors, no top, it's not really a practical everyday car, or a rainy-day car. What it is, is a highly entertaining hand-crafted auto. It is NOT a 'kit car!'

It uses coil-over shocks at all four corners, and a BMW M3 IRS rear end, w/4-wheel discs, of-course. The body is hand-laid fiberglas, no 'chop-gun' production here. It has a steel space-frame 3 mm wall thickness & round stock, triangulated design.

OK, OK, I haven't named the motivating power-what is it?

It's an LT-1 (the one I saw today) but he says he also has built it w/an LS-2 Chevy. When he told me it was an LT-1, my first thought was, 'why not an aluminum block and heads, much less weight!' That would be important, as the car has neither power steering nor power brakes. It uses a T-56 manual tranny.

'Wow, what a chore to drive and park!,' you might think. Well it would be if you were driving a 3600 lb. car, but since this weighs a bit more than half that, you can see that maybe lightness isn't a bad thing after-all. He claims it weighs < 1900 lbs. on-the-road.
shaka-nynya---an-afr-6_600x0w.jpg

shaka-nynya---an-afr-3_600x0w.jpg
shaka-nynya---an-afr-5_600x0w.jpg

ENGINE: 405 HP All Aluminum 6.0 Liter V8
TRANSMISSION: 6 speed manual
FRONT SUSPENSION:
Oval tube A arms; Push rod operated inboard
coil/over shocks; rack and pinion steering (2.5:1 ratio).
REAR SUSPENSION:
Round tube A arms
coil/over shocks 8" 3.64:1 limited slip differential
CHASSIS: Triangulated, round tube space frame.
BODY:
Hand Laminated glass reinforced Polyester resin (G.R.P)
Riveted and bonded to chassis.
BRAKES:
Front: 12.75" rotors with two piston calipers.
Rear:12"rotors with two piston calipers.
WHEEL BASE: 94"
WEIGHT: 1875 lbs.
PERFORMANCE:
0-60 MPH IN 3.7 seconds;
60-0 MPH in 100 feet;
1/4 mile in 11.2 seconds at 132mph;
lateral cornering force, 1.1G.
Top speed: electronically limited to 135mph.
shaka-nynya---an-afr_600x0w.jpg

South Africa seems to have a lot of talent and fabrication shops capable of turning out some jaw-dropping stuff (see Superamerica Performance Coupe, a Shelby Cobra Coupe tribute, or the Shelby Roadster version, http://www.superformance.com/factory.aspx ) which I have seen at the Superperformance distributorship in FL. Last time I was there, they had a string of Rousch-built Ford engines sitting in cradles, waiting to be installed in Superperformance cars. The cars are shipped to customers w/o engines/trannys, as 'rollers,' awaiting the installation of an engine spec'ed by the buyer.

From perusing the spec's you will notice it is one of the few street cars which could beat a stock Gen 1 VMax, no-excuses.

So, if you want to get one of these cars, FL is a good place to come to see them!

Top speed limited to 135? Why would they do that? It would beat me on the 1/4 mile, but I could pass him on an open highway if I wanted to.

They lift as speeds increase, same problem the Cobras had. That's why the Shelby Coupe was designed. Liability, you know. Probably solved by a re-flash. But then watch-out for takeoff!

It was cool to see and hear, I bet they are fun!

Lift leading to high speed instability....where have I head that before? lol

These purpose built track day cars seem to be the new trend...a race car with blinkers. Be cool to try them out sometime, though outside the track as you said they're far from practical.

Back