Some wiring issue...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven May

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was trying to re-wire the tail-lights and blinkers on my '85,...I thought I took enough pictures on the tear down, but I did not I guess. I was able to get the blinkers working, but as I tried to hook up the tail light/brake light I was defeated. the mess of wiring (from previous owner) was confusing to say the least. Now after attempting to supply power to the light assembly I find that all power is dead. No lights, no blinker, no ignition. Checked the fuses and they all seem to be fine. I have the battery on a charger and even with it hooked up I have nothing. Anybody got a clue what happened and how to wire my mess? ( Here's a pic of what I have to figure out).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-31 at 10.03.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-31 at 10.03.36 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
Starter safety relay - it's connected through the starter relay direct from the battery. Blue/white goes to the start button then to ground.

Check the main fuse. It's by itself on the left above the battery with red wires going to it.

Brown is main power going everywhere, connecting that to black is bad.

Blue wire should be hot with the key on for parking lamps.

Ok, well I’ve got the tail and brake lights working (on hand brake) wired like this...when I try to connect the blue wire brake lights come on? Agh. Hate wiring

Attachments

• FEEA766D-5034-49A3-BA8C-A3C2D2BBD99B.jpeg
    FEEA766D-5034-49A3-BA8C-A3C2D2BBD99B.jpeg
    163 KB · Views: 11
Might have the trail light and brake lights swapped. The blue wire is for the parking lights.

Maybe a bad ground?

Aha.When I tried to recreate the spider web of splices I was making a mistake. Finally have the blinkers and tail light wired correctly, but still have the brown and yellow wire (near battery) sticking up going nowhere. It was pointed out to me that I am missing the rear brake light switch entirely. looked it up on the schematic and yep. Brown and yellow wires. Looked it up in the manual (brake switch adjustment) and sure nuff, there's supposed to be a switch there. Duh

Back