starter motor removal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john rossignol

Reaction score
Here is another stupid question , to remove the starter ,do you have to take the front headers off, I,m in the process of elimination, new Goldwing battery ,upgraded R-R , STARTED PERFECT , THAN RESTART WAS LOUD CLICKS ,NOT RATTLE, CHARGING IS RIGHT ON THE NUMBERS , MAYBE CLEAN THE STARTER , OR NEW STARTER CLUTCH ,IT DOESNT DO IT ON FIRST START, WITH FULL CHOKE

The starter can be taken out without taking off the exhaust. You will find it easier to drain the coolant and remove the elbow and diverter valve stuff for more access.

Cleaning ground connections would be my next move. Then a segmented voltage drop test, including the solenoid cranking. Of course the starter might be the issue. If you have a two pole, the 4 pole upgrade is a good way to go.
A brand new, defective battery took the last of the hair off my head once. No stone left unturned
is how I roll, now.

Its a 1997 engine with 24,000 miles , did they come with a 4 pole starter ???

Not necessarily. They sometimes used new old stock parts. For example, my '99 originally came with a early model R/R.

You can easily tell if it's four pole or not. Check the attached picture. 2-pole motors will have a flat head phillips screw on the body.

Mark

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 28
Its a four pole,thanks , whats the best starter relay ,I saw d-b electrics has them, oem fit, for 28 dollars ,a lot cheaper than yamaha

Try to start it few times from external sourse, like running car, with half opened choke. Mine was doing the same with half fried battery. Dried electrolyte. Maybe nothing wrong with starter.

Not necessarily. They sometimes used new old stock parts. For example, my '99 originally came with a early model R/R.

You can easily tell if it's four pole or not. Check the attached picture. 2-pole motors will have a flat head phillips screw on the body.

Mark

Does the royal star starter also have the flat Phillips screw in the side? I was told from 96-up they were all 4 pole in those, but there isn’t a fly Phillips in those, considering we can use those in our bikes.

Does the royal star starter also have the flat Phillips screw in the side? I was told from 96-up they were all 4 pole in those, but there isn’t a fly Phillips in those, considering we can use those in our bikes.
I do not know. Sorry.

Mark

Back