Ticking sound

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saint

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello, it's been a while since I've posted. Moved across the country and finally found time to rebuild my carbs. Long story short, the bike is running really well again, however I have this ticking sound that can be heard mostly from behind the bike coming from the muffler.
I just replaced the exhaust manifold gaskets and synced the carbs today hoping it was just a leak or tune issue. Not so lucky I guess.
It's heard mostly at idle and does speed up with rpms. I bought a stethoscope and it seems to be the loudest on rear right (3rd cylinder) at the top of the valve cover.
I'm just looking for advice before I tear into things. I'll post a video that captures the ticking when I move to the rear. I just got her back together and running so I'd hate to tear into it so soon but I don't want to cause damage if this sounds like a serious issue.
Also want to say thanks to everyone on the forum, the knowledge and experience here made rebuilding the carbs and fixing this bike up easy.

Attachments

• PXL_20230902_211819084.TS~3.mp4
    21.2 MB
That video (audio) doesn't really reveal anything out of the ordinary to my ears. However if you do hear ticking in #3 then the obvious reason is excess valve lash. You could pull the cover off (not fun) and measure the lash. While in there check the other side too, compare to each other and factory specs.

1693845837306.png

Maybe the chain dampers? Part #10, 11. How many miles on it?

Thanks for the replies! I was hoping the sound would come through the video better. It would make sense that it's valve or chain related. The bike has 14,000km. I'd like to ride a bit more this summer/fall if the ticking doesn't sound that severe.

Back