Tuning?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max03

Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanna make sure i have everything set to make an order, one last time so im sure!! 03 vmax with a 4-2 holeshot exhaust, in upstate NY. Current setup is all stock with the carbs with just the exhaust. When i first put the exhaust on i put the 155 main in with a shim under the needle didn't like it at all felt lazy. Went back to stock 152.5 and it woke up, then took the shim out. So wanna make sure that i get the right jetting coming. Would like to go down to a 150 or 147.5 Also should i change the pilot Should i go up or down with the pilot? it seems to be rich at idle and at cruising speed. Also what about the paj's .Thank You, its starting to get nice out and wanna get this baby ready to go. Also which carb syncin tool do you guys recommend the gauge or mercury??

thanks

The best way to tell if your jetting is right is put it on a dyno and get the a/f readings. I have the gauges and they work fine, with the mercury ones the mercury is getting hard to find and the mercury does get contaminated plus sucked into the engine witch is not good.

Sounds like your are well on your way. What is your altitude? For that exhaust and 7-800 in elevation we put 147.5's for the mains. Pilot fuel and air jets can stay where they are. Check your float levels and make sure they are all between 16-17 mm. It's good to have a good foundation and float levels is where it starts at. I would leave the needle shim out for now and do the needle test as outlined in the sticky in the carbs section.

test #1: 4th gear, 4K rpms. Whack throttle and then slightly open choke when you hit 6K. If acceleration improves your needle is too lean.

test #2: same test but back off the throttle just a smidge at 6K rpms. If acceleration improves, needles are too rich.

max03: 150's and shims may be your ticket at 450 feet..

I've tried most all types of sync tools, Carb Tune impressed me most.....
Just remembered, CaptainKyle has gauges that were even better. IMO.

Back