Update On Tuning Woes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vmaxattacks

Reaction score
Well, with the help of a GREAT GUY (Maleko89):worthy: for getting me the jets I needed I now have a MUCH BETTER running bike! I have always had a pretty paltry running '94 (Cali version) and I was tired of the transitional stumble from idle to part throttle and the overall inability to adjust the mixture worth a crap:bang head::bang head: I swapped out the Cal carbs a long while ago and put on 49-state versions with the stock jetting and although it was a bit better I knew that it was still not right. After this last bout with plugged pilots it was time to dive in once more. I found that one of my pilot jets had a bit of varnish that got dislodged and plugged it up..no amount of pea shooter or shotgun was going to fix that. I took them all apart and swapped in #42.5 pilots and then I swapped out the 152.5 mains for a set of 150's. While I was at it I shimmed the needles .020" for the hell of it. I know that I changed three things at once but I was confident that I was still in the ballpark none-the-less. I reassembled with new gaskets, rubber passageway plugs and "O" rings, checked the float level one-by-one with an extension fuel line from the bike to my bench which is spot-on level and got them all at 17MM. Reassembled and synched. Right away I could tell the difference!! It idled down from a cold start and was smooth as glass! Got it completely warmed and re-synched. I let it idle for about 10 minutes and pulled the plugs. A couple were blacker than normal (this I NEVER could get before) and I settled in for 2 1/2 twists of the mixture screws for now. Still a bit rich but MUCH MORE RESPONSIVE!!
I took it out for a drive to work in the cool air (68 degrees) and I saw the oil level light in three gears!!:clapping::clapping:This thing is running like a raped ape!
I shoulda done this 16 years ago:ummm::real mad:
I went through all of the "tests" for off-idle, transition and needle and I have no stumbling whatsoever. My roll of the dice has payed off.....finally. No flat spots or surging. Nice and smooth everywhere.
Thanx to ALL who have posted like results and a BIG thanx to Mark for his tenacious effort on getting me the much needed jets!
This is the best place to hang out for the Vmaxers of the world!!:clapping::clapping:

Woo-hoo, glad the jets are doing good! I'd rather have 'em in a running bike than sitting in my jet bin!

Cool, just shows again that the people here are Great...

Congrats Vmaxattacks

Back