vmax rattle noise

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cathunter

Reaction score
. Hi there dudes. I have a funny rattle noise coming from my engine, the link above (sorry its at the start before my greeting) is a recording of the noise . I had it in storage for 3 and a half years. it was fine when packed away .it starts fine and runs fine .apart from this rattle noise .it sounds louder from the right side of the engine maybe the carbs any help would be great . I haven't been on here for a while .been away travelling for a few years .hope everybodys cool .thanks

I’m looking for this same answer! Just started happening to mine and I just got it. Thinking it sounds like lifters on a car. Oil level is good. Seems to get worse when the engine warms up. Going to do an oil change and see if it helps

Its hard to tell from the video but if you hold a screwdriver to the engine and its handle to your ear you should be able to narrow down where its coming from.

Are downpipes OEM ? The original pipe were double skinned. Its possible that yours are rotting from the inside out and the inner skin has come loose and is rattling. I've a buddy that bought a very cheap bike because of that issue lol

Sounds like a connecting rod, starting to go? But then again the valves and chain can make noise Drain the oil in a clean pan and look for gold. Mine made a similar noise when the rod went. If I can find the vid I’ll show you, but fresh oil is always good anyways.

Last edited:
. Hi there dudes. I have a funny rattle noise coming from my engine, the link above (sorry its at the start before my greeting) is a recording of the noise . I had it in storage for 3 and a half years. it was fine when packed away .it starts fine and runs fine .apart from this rattle noise .it sounds louder from the right side of the engine maybe the carbs any help would be great . I haven't been on here for a while .been away travelling for a few years .hope everybodys cool .thanks

It's the lifters. On the old cars i used to use a little bit of trans fluid and that would quite it down.

Yes, on OHV engines, that's why detergent motor oil was invented, to cleanse hydraulic lifters and other parts. On an OHC engine w/a valve cap and a shim, no lifters.

Lifters? The valves operate DOHC. Cam pushes shim which fits into a holder and pushes directly on the valve. There is no hydraulic lifter here at all. The valve clearance is set by changing shim thickness to get proper gap.

Let's be kind and give him the benefit of the doubt, that he was just talking about his 1970's Detroit-mobile.

Does it go away when you pull the clutch in?

Back