Wi,VMAX89

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just bought my first ever VMAX.. it's an 89.. love the bike. Since getting it as of tonight I'm putting new seat covers on.. 3 days ago I removed coils and added cops.... Just a little info.. thanks

Welcome to the forum. If you don't have it yet, the service manual: http://vmoa.net/VMX12-Service-Manual01.pdf

Anything you have needing fixing, someone on here has probably already had the same issue. Use the upper-right 'search' and 'advanced search' to look for info.

https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/new-vmax-owner-faqs-new-members-please-read.21240/
FYI, you likely have the 'old style' ignition box, it uses two pick-up coils, and if you're adding COP's, be advised you wouldn't be the first to discover that model wants to have a resistance equal to the OEM high-tension ignition coils, or have premature failure of the ignition box. This would be a good time to familiarize yourself with the search function.

Last edited:
Welcome, Luther. Congrats on your bike. We like seeing pics. Do you have some of your Vmax?

Welcome to the forum. If you don't have it yet, the service manual: http://vmoa.net/VMX12-Service-Manual01.pdf

Anything you have needing fixing, someone on here has probably already had the same issue. Use the upper-right 'search' and 'advanced search' to look for info.

https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/new-vmax-owner-faqs-new-members-please-read.21240/
FYI, you likely have the 'old style' ignition box, it uses two pick-up coils, and if you're adding COP's, be advised you wouldn't be the first to discover that model wants to have a resistance equal to the OEM high-tension ignition coils, or have premature failure of the ignition box. This would be a good time to familiarize yourself with the search function.
Thanks . What should I look up? Pick-up coils?

Thanks . What should I look up? Pick-up coils?
No it's the primary ignition high-tension coils you need to present the same resistance/impedance to the ignition box. In your case, since you're replacing those with COP's, you need to decide what value of resistor you would add to your chosen COP's. Start with the resistance/impedance value of the OEM high-tension coils. Then what's the resistance/impedance of the COP's you're using?

No it's the primary ignition high-tension coils you need to present the same resistance/impedance to the ignition box. In your case, since you're replacing those with COP's, you need to decide what value of resistor you would add to your chosen COP's. Start with the resistance/impedance value of the OEM high-tension coils. Then what's the resistance/impedance of the COP's you're using?
Not sure I'll check

I contacted the guy and he's on Facebook... He has a VMAX also,but according to him they are plug and Play and they are the same Independence as the other coils were he said that if anything he has another set of coils that are hotter I believe but then he said something about he's got a resistor that you put in line but the ones for the first generation are just plug and play... I'm not sure but as of right now I'm taking his word for it and going with your advice and doing some more digging.

OK, here's what I see being the issue. The resistance in ohms presents a particular impedance (load) to the electronic circuitry of the ignition control unit. If the designed-for load is not present, the electronic components are not going to be operating within their parameters for which they were designed. This can cause excess heat, and excess heat causes all-sorts of problems for longevity of electrical components. Unable to shed effectively the excess heat, the components in the circuit design begin to fail, and your ignition is now fried. I'm no E.E. so don't expect me to be able to make anything more than a layman's explanation of this.

I bet you can find people who have used whatever ohm rating COP's they scrounged off ebay or a bike they found to cannibalize. Then they stuck them on their VMax, or other ride, and they were able to 'make 'em work.' My question is, "how long will they continue to work?" More importantly, "how long will they work before the ignition box is damaged?"

There are many threads on here about using COP's, my suggestion is, use some search terms, read them, and try to get the info you need to satisfy your curiosity. I'll tell you from the viewpoint of someone who's owned both types of ignitions, the '85-'89, and the '90-'07 I would not use COP's on one of my early ignition box rides without having someone more-knowledgeable than I that "you have a balanced load, and you're not going to have issues because of an unbalanced load." Why? Because the COP's present the same impedance as the traditional ignition coils used as OEM equipment.

I contacted the guy and he's on Facebook... He has a VMAX also,but according to him they are plug and Play and they are the same Independence as the other coils were he said that if anything he has another set of coils that are hotter I believe but then he said something about he's got a resistor that you put in line but the ones for the first generation are just plug and play... I'm not sure but as of right now I'm taking his word for it and going with your advice and doing some more digging.
Hello , My understanding of the situation is as follows.
Gen 1 vmax up to 1989 used an analogue control unit so needs resisters fitted to the cops to give the same resistance as the original coils. Without them fitted it is possible to overheat and damage the ECU which will be far more expensive to replace than fitting the resistors.
Gen1 from 1990 onwards have a digital control unit so do not need the resistors .
Both systems are plug and play to original wiring loom.
As previously mentioned by others its worth reading the previous reviews and info .

Regards Chris.

Both systems are plug and play to original wiring loom.
But you have to wire your COP's with the proper male-female plugs. Yes you can cut-off the plugs from your old OEM high-tension coils. Solder/shrink-wrap the splices. Do NOT use crimp butt connectors!

Hello , I made the assumption that the cops had been purchased with the plugs / mini loom as part of the kit and not just purchased the cops.
The plug / loom can be purchased separately if required . The sets I have seen are advertised on EBAY UK but are manufactured in the USA. His EBAY name is gsxr123007 and he is advertising sets with and without the resistors.

Regards Chris.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I just bought my first ever VMAX.. it's an 89.. love the bike. Since getting it as of tonight I'm putting new seat covers on.. 3 days ago I removed coils and added cops.... Just a little info.. thanks
Hi Luther, my name is Jason and I'm a new member as well...I also own a 1989 VMax, since 2009...wondering; do you posses the owner's or factory service manual per chance? If so was wondering if you could tell me Engine Oil Capacity with filter change and Coolant Capacity? Thanking you in advance for any assistance you can render...

Hi Luther, my name is Jason and I'm a new member as well...I also own a 1989 VMax, since 2009...wondering; do you posses the owner's or factory service manual per chance? If so was wondering if you could tell me Engine Oil Capacity with filter change and Coolant Capacity? Thanking you in advance for any assistance you can render...
Oil is like 3.6 or 3.8 quarts.. coolant not sure. I just premixed and filled.. but sometime tomorrow I'll look it up..

Hello ,
According to my manual oil quantity for change including filter is 3.8 ltrs ( 3.5 ltrs without filter and 4.7 ltrs after rebuild)
Coolant capacity is approx 3.25 ltrs made up of 50% distilled water and 50% anti freeze .
Regards Chris.

Latest posts

Back