Wire tap to key-on power for radar detector?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFleshRocket

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm installing a Valentine One on my Vmax. I'd like to tap a power wire that's only hot when the key is on, so that the detector shuts off when I turn off the bike's key. Any recommendations on where to find one?

What.......are you going to be speeding on that thing? :D LOL

I highly recommend a Gurued Gear's "Fuse Buddy Box". I just checked their website and unfortunately they don't have a photo of it posted.

Basically it's a small box with multiple fused connections that installs under the left side, side cover.

I can post a photo of it when I get home later.

If you don't want to use one of those I can tell you where to tap in, but I need to look at my bike to refresh my memory.

Mark

I've already got the Valentine "direct wire power adapter kit" mostly installed. https://store.valentine1.com/Store/partsdept.asp I have the little "box" installed under the cover in the tool kit cubby, the ground wire run to a frame bolt just outside that area, and the V1 power cord run along the left side of the frame up to a RAM mount that's bolted to one of the handlebar bolt holes. (Guess I should have taken some pictures along the way.) I have a power wire run up to the battery itself, but would definitely prefer a power tap that shuts off with the key. Much appreciated if you could let me know how you have it set up. Thanks!

Or, what about the little four-wire pigtail that's in the toolkit cubby? I'm guessing that's a diagnostic adapter, and I bet at least one of its pins is hot at key-on! Speaking of which, is there an OBD2 adapter or something that plugs into that pigtail?

I'm pretty sure any red with white stripe wires are ignition on 12 VDC sources.

There are 2 here at the fuse block next to the battery.

IMG_20191101_210407.jpg

Please check to be certain..... my bike is partially disassembled and has the battery disconnected.

Last edited:
I just wedged the blade from my power wire into the back of the connector alongside the red/white wires. Works great, and didn't have to do any cutting / tapping of the harness. Thanks again!

Sweet....can't get any easier then that!

You're welcome.

Back