building a 1300cc

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wlodek1980

Reaction score
after my engine developed a major knock some time ago i laid it off, but recently got on its case once again, dropped the engine, took the covers off, oilpan off, only to discover that what seemed like a spun shell actually happens to be a snapped crank. it's got at least 5mm sideways play on one side, but regular=almost none on the other... so...

i looked into what pinwall sells, and found some empty 1300 cases and matching 1300 crank/rods/pistons i assume (judging from description, would need to confirm) from the same bike (actual bike)

got my old vmax engine on hand to salvage heads and auxiliaries from

my question is

obv. would be using vmax ignition system

will everything from vmax engine just drop in?

oiling system? any diff. between old and new filter style?

venture or vmax gearbox?

what you reckon?

a snapped crank??? wtf?? howd u pull that off?

i feel like im missing out on a kick ass story

You can use all your vmax stuff with no problems. The venture crank will work fine. You can either swap over your rods which are lighter or use the venture rods so you won't have to redo the bearings. Use the vmax heads to keep your power level (and cams). The vmax PCV system. The vmax oil pan sensor. The vmax coolant tubing. You basically are using the venture block, pistons, rods, and crank.

The venture trans isn't as robust and a slightly different gearing but usually the trans holds up fine. This way you would not even need to split the case.

Sean

a snapped crank??? wtf?? howd u pull that off?

i feel like im missing out on a kick ass story

well, I wish it was 'one of those stories' :D but unfortunately, or shall I say, actually it was rather a to be foreseen failure of a seized-reground crank-made to measure shells, which lasted all of 4000 miles after a full on rebuild.
took me by surprise really, warmed it up really nicely, made about 10 motorway miles, then, what used to be a gentle vibe in footpegs developed into a major one, only to be quickly followed by an increasing knock. funnyli it never lost oil pressure or power... although it never exploded I reckon cases will now be good for a coffee table support only... switched it off once off the motorway, the engine noise was immense, I was crying inside :)
pics to follow one day

btw, if you wanna see some other engines' destroyed components I have an album called a Hall of Shame of FB, linky here:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2265812848671.2130719.1349021258&type=1

forgot to add, there WAS a girl involved LOL :D

You can use all your vmax stuff with no problems. The venture crank will work fine. You can either swap over your rods which are lighter or use the venture rods so you won't have to redo the bearings. Use the vmax heads to keep your power level (and cams). The vmax PCV system. The vmax oil pan sensor. The vmax coolant tubing. You basically are using the venture block, pistons, rods, and crank.

The venture trans isn't as robust and a slightly different gearing but usually the trans holds up fine. This way you would not even need to split the case.

Sean

that is exactly what i wanted to know, thanks for your help!

btw, empty cases and the crank/rods/pistons would be already separated, but would hopefuly come from one engine. when bolting vmax rods with venture pistons and crank would i be using venture, vmax or brand new shells? in other words, am i more bothered about shells' inner or outer clearances? inner ones i reckon ( just swapping rods ) but always good to ask...

also, venture 5th gear, yay or nay?

Venture and Vmax bearings are the same. You have to use the correct size based on the "code" breakdown. It's a chart similar to your shim chart. You read the number on the rod less the number on the crank and equate that to the correct bearing.

The venture 5th will not give you any benefit (or barely any). It's also not compatible with the vmax 2nd that it engages into (unless you have the very early 85 vmax trans). Our royal star fifth requires additional undercut work to make fit but it also makes a very nice cruise gear when done.

Personally, unless you are building a super high HP or want to rev it really high I would use the venture block, crank, rods, and pistons. Swap over your heads, cams and misc. IF you are opening up the block then use whichever transmission has the least amount of wear.

Get the ARP studs and HD oiling from me. I can of course provide you with any stuff you need (including the venture stuff) but those specific parts aren't generally available from anyone else.

Sean

Back