Building a Carb Sync Tool

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thundermax

Reaction score
Don't want to spend $100.00 on one, read you can build one for $15.00. Searched the forum and came up empty on how to do it. Can someone tell us how to build one?

Don't want to spend $100.00 on one, read you can build one for $15.00. Searched the forum and came up empty on how to do it. Can someone tell us how to build one?

here are options:
http://hometeamtb.mfr.mlxchange.com/?r=1291398344&id=37303238323731.363
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=5852&highlight=carb+sync+tool

And I've attached a picture of RichWrench's home-made sync tool, the Sync-Right-2000, from which you can pretty much see how to build your own.

The trick is to have 'restrictors' inside each of the four clear hoses where they plug into your vacuum nipples, otherwise the liquid jumps about too much.
In Rich's case, he use the inside bit of a TV antenna cable as restriction. Also for the liquid, use ATV fluid - no prob is it spills or gets sucked in by accident.

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 40
The UK tool, it looks like cylinders 2, 3, and 4 are individually synced to cylinder 1 or real gravity, each one at a time. Is this right? If not, maybe someone can give me a step by step of how to do it. Thanks

I made the one in this article a long time age using a vacuum gauge. Works good... still use it today. Whatever you end up with... here's the article with the how to's

Carb_Sync_1.jpg

Carb_Sync_2.jpg

Carb_Sync_3.jpg

Carb_Sync_4.jpg

Carb_Sync_5.jpg

Carb_Sync_6.jpg

Just wanted to mention that now a days, there is so much available in terms of cheap valving/hose and manifold logs for aquariums. You can get creative with the tubing and manifold. The most expensive part would be the gauge... buy a boost gauge from Autometer or? The vacuum generally goes to 30 inches. Then you can use the pressure side to check fork tube pressure etc.

Just an example... http://www.aquacave.com/Multi-Outlet-CHROME-Air-Manifold-by-Sunlight-Supply-P2226C29.aspx

If you go the same route as richwrench's tool, you need to pay attention if your carbs are way out of sync. Because the ATF is significantly less dense than the mercury in the old sync tools, it is really easy to suck a good portion of the fluid into one of the carbs.....ask me how I know this :bang head:

On the up side, because the fluid is significantly less dense the tool is much more sensitive and shows very small differences quite effectively.

Because the ATF is significantly less dense than the mercury in the old sync tools, it is really easy to suck a good portion of the fluid into one of the carbs.....ask me how I know this :bang head:

lol..

You did have restrictors inside the hoses, right?

Couldn't go wrong buying the tool and pads from Mike so that is what I did. Thanks alot for all the information on this subject. Appreciate it.

Latest posts

Back