1985 Max SUPER clunky on full extension

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHMax

Reaction score
After market 2 inch shorter Progressive rear shocks
Bushings are kinda Dry rotted but do not seem THAT bad
is there some kind of Bumper inside them?

You are saying that the suspension clunks on full extension.
Normally the weight of the machine and rider compress the suspension.
Unless you regularly perform jumps the only time I'd expect it to be fully extended would be when on the centre stand.

I've no experience with Progressive products so can't comment on them/
Have you also checked the swinging arm bearings for free play?

Usually there is a bumper on the chrome metal shock shaft. There are also rubber bushings at the eyelets, and those can wear out with wear, exposure to UV light, and ozone, things which affect rubber. The shock may be rebuildable. If it's leaked oil, it will definitely be clunky. Also, two inches is probably what I'd consider too-much of a drop in length, and as it reaches full compression, you're contacting something like the tire and the underside of the fender.

The best way to rule-out the last issue, or to see where there is interference at full compression, is to use a strap or a come-along to ratchet down the shock and observe where there is interference. If you wanted to take the time, you could remove the shock springs and re-install the shocks, and find where the interference is.

Personally, I think a drop of 2" is too-great. I suspect your angle at rest on the sidestand may be insufficient to hold the bike at a proper lean angle, where a strong wind could topple the bike. I bet your centerstand will be much-harder to operate now, also. Another thing is that if you corner aggressively, you may be dragging parts, like the sidestand tab, the centerstand, and the megaphones of the exhaust.

The highest recommended drop is 1-1/2" in shock height, to minimize these types of issues.

Last edited:
Usually there is a bumper on the chrome metal shock shaft. There are also rubber bushings at the eyelets, and those can wear out with wear, exposure to UV light, and ozone, things which affect rubber. The shock may be rebuildable. If it's leaked oil, it will definitely be clunky. Also, two inches is probably what I'd consider too-much of a drop in length, and as it reaches full compression, you're contacting something like the tire and the underside of the fender.

The best way to rule-out the last issue, or to see where there is interference at full compression, is to use a strap or a come-along to ratchet down the shock and observe where there is interference. If you wanted to take the time, you could remove the shock springs and re-install the shocks, and find where the interference is.

Personally, I think a drop of 2" is too-great. I suspect your angle at rest on the sidestand may be insufficient to hold the bike at a proper lean angle, where a strong wind could topple the bike. I bet your centerstand will be much-harder to operate now, also. Another thing is that if you corner aggressively, you may be dragging parts, like the sidestand tab, the centerstand, and the megaphones of the exhaust.

The highest recommended drop is 1-1/2" in shock height, to minimize these types of issues.
Yeah bike is too Low
My buddy the Previous owner was short and a AVID dragracer went that low
cost me the Old Hindle on my Driveway seam :mad:
Bushings do look Dry rot cracking
I will look into replacing the Swingarm bearings while I am this far apart

I suspect a thorough exam of the swingarm bearings will show no issues, assuming that prior owners had them set to factory specs. Removing the lower shock mounts and the wheel, you should be able to check for excess movement, if you first set the swingarm pivots according to spec.

Did your drag-racing friend have a sidewinder exhaust? Those have good left-side clearance, but not much on the right-side. Not sure if Hindle made that style. I suspect they may have early-on.

I suspect a thorough exam of the swingarm bearings will show no issues, assuming that prior owners had them set to factory specs. Removing the lower shock mounts and the wheel, you should be able to check for excess movement, if you first set the swingarm pivots according to spec.

Did your drag-racing friend have a sidewinder exhaust? Those have good left-side clearance, but not much on the right-side. Not sure if Hindle made that style. I suspect they may have early-on.

He had a Hindle on it

Back