1989 oil leak at neutral position sensor

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zaos

Reaction score
Hi, I recently did an oil change on my vmax and also replaced the neutral position sensor with a new one and a new O ring. It has been working fine but I now noticed it is leaking what I’d consider a good amount of oil, my question is next steps, will I need to buy new jug of oil so I can get the middle gear cover off to take a look at the sensor or does not much oil come out. Another question is should I try tighening the sensor or could it be I just got a faulty O ring and it needs a new one, thanks

Sometimes the O-ring comes out of its position, as you're putting it back in. See if that may be the issue.

You could try resting the bike on its side to take the sender off. That could lessen the oil loss. If you have a lead/acid battery, I'd remove that before lying the bike on its side.

Undo the drain bolt (#21 ) on the side cove and drain the Middle Gear oil which can be collected and re-used.
You may loose a little more so have a drip tray handy.
Crankcase Covers.jpg

Back