1993 Wiring Diagram

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie2ee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need the 1993 wiring diagram for my VMax...............the diagram that I have in the Service Manual published 1992 doesn't seem to fit.........in particular I'm looking for the starting circuit diagram..................thanks

I found a better wiring diagram on the forum and it seems to fit my wiring harness that I have..........now I just need to find the "starter circuit cut-off relay" shown as a separate device on the wiring diagram...........I've got everything removed on the left side to include the backing panel tied to the frame.........

so where is the self-cancelling indicator unit - is it (8)?

Now I'm almost back to square one.................can not find problem with not being able to start VMax...............I have even drawn up a new ladder logic control diagram for better visualization...........start circuit doesn't look right based on the schematic I copied it from......................I can get the Starter Cutoff Relay to pickup but no starting................only around 1 volt at the starter solenoid coil...............clutch switch and sidestand switches seem to be bypassed as they have no affect on the Cutoff Relay....................I'm wondering how much variation there is in the wiring diagrams from one year to another................I know the early bikes are different from my 93...............getting ready to do a wire by wire trace to see where everything is connected...............neutral switch and light are working..................oil and fuel lights turn on with the start switch...............the starter solendoid picks up with 12 volts applied..............diode block checks out per service manual drawing and the wire colors match..............does anybody know if the 93 wiring diagram is the same for a number of years?..................... I would like to verify the wiring diagram that I've been using, states it's for 1990 to 2003 US and Canada, I downloaded it from this site. Thanks

If it was the ignition fuse you wouldn't be getting the oil and fuel light when you press the start button............once I confirm my diagram then I can start tracing wires...................diagram looks funny.................

Seems odd that you have such a discrepancy in the wiring versus the published schematic on your machine. There were only a couple of break points, 92 being one of them I believe, but year-to-year differences should be negligible to non existent within those major categories. It will be interesting to see what you find out.

remind me the problem............................ is this the one where engine turns over, fires up then dies after 5 seconds ..................... cause identified due to power to fuel pump being cut off ........ ?

I'm going on what was stated above.............................. that the starter solenoid coil was only receiving ~1VDC.

OK, maybe I'm confusing this with another thread but I searched on Okiees posts and one was about sticking starter button.

Starter button must surely supply power to the starter solenoid which in turn supplies power to the starter motor.

I'd suggest checking the switch, and wiring between it and starter solenoid. 1 v is insufficient to operate the solenoid. Burnt contacts in the switch would create a high resistance resulting in low voltage to the solenoid.

And Ofcourse we know the battery is good condition and fully charged?

As I had mentioned, the 1985-'89 have the analog ignition box, 4 pick-up coil wires, 1990-2007 are all the same, the digital ignition box and a two-wire, single crankshaft flywheel/rotor pick-up coil. The 1992 break I think 02GF74 may be referring to is the size of the downtubes/sliders, and the brakes being two pairs of opposed pistons (4 total) instead of the 1985-1992 being a single pair of opposed caliper pistons f & r. I know of no electrical differences at the 1992-1993 break.

Put the bike in-gear with the sidestand down, and the engine should shut-off.

OK, maybe I'm confusing this with another thread but I searched on Okiees posts and one was about sticking starter button.

Starter button must surely supply power to the starter solenoid which in turn supplies power to the starter motor.

I'd suggest checking the switch, and wiring between it and starter solenoid. 1 v is insufficient to operate the solenoid. Burnt contacts in the switch would create a high resistance resulting in low voltage to the solenoid.

And Ofcourse we know the battery is good condition and fully charged?
The starter switch is a grounding point for the starter contactor coil..................completes the path to ground................does not supply 12vdc to the coil...........................I have checked the resistance from the switch to the starter contactor coil and it is low, what I would expect...................plus the oil and fuel indicator lights are nice and bright when I push the start switch

As I had mentioned, the 1985-'89 have the analog ignition box, 4 pick-up coil wires, 1990-2007 are all the same, the digital ignition box and a two-wire, single crankshaft flywheel/rotor pick-up coil. The 1992 break I think 02GF74 may be referring to is the size of the downtubes/sliders, and the brakes being two pairs of opposed pistons (4 total) instead of the 1985-1992 being a single pair of opposed caliper pistons f & r. I know of no electrical differences at the 1992-1993 break.

Put the bike in-gear with the sidestand down, and the engine should shut-off.
Thanks...............I have confirmed the difference in wiring between the 1985 - 1989 models and the 1990 - 2003 models...............I also have a 1985 model and it is different........................nothing major just subtle changes.................same basic layout......................I'm thinking I may have shorted wiring in the harness or somewhere not obviously visible.................will let you know what I find............hopefully I will get there eventually..................what really pisses me off is being an EE and not being able to solve this quickly............I feel for those less experienced and who look at wiring diagrams in wonder...................

With the Neutral switch off, no light, and the sidestand down and the clutch not pulled in...............the starter cutoff relay picks up when I press the start switch...............??????????...........should be interlocked with the clutch switch or the neutral switch or the side stand switch...................

Bypassed interlocks and tied power directly to starter solenoid and used start switch to run starter with no problem................so back to checking out the wiring.......................I did find that the old Starter Cutoff Relay had an internal short between the coil and contact pin...................

Here is what I have on the wiring diagram conversion to ladder logic diagram....................somethings not right in the "Neutral" indicator area......................but that is the way it's laid out on the wiring diagram unless I missed something............removed dwg for now.............updates coming

Last edited:
what really pisses me off is being an EE and not being able to solve this quickly............I feel for those less experienced and who look at wiring diagrams in wonder...................
I feel your pain. Working on a circuit board is easier as you have it all in front of you and chances are you designed it.

Vehicle wiring can be a nightmare just to trace the wires, which may or may not be according to diagram or has been hacked by someone else and not to mention poor connections, especially on older cars/motorcycles.

Back