1st gen Venture motor into 1st gen Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfman

Reaction score
Hello guyz,

A friend of a friend of mine is selling a 1998 VMAX with a bad motor for 500$

I happen to have a very ugly Yamaha Venture parts bike (1990) in my garage

I was wondering if the Venture motor is a direct replacement for the 1998 VMAX.

Normally I would not be in the market for this bike but since I might have what I need to fix it, I am thinking of picking this up.

Also I know the venture is detuned but anyone knows the specific differences between the two motors?

Thanks!

Throw that Venture in there, use the VMax heads if they're OK.

I'm sure Sean Morley will chime-in on this.

I think you can use the VBoost and VMax carbs too.

The 1300 from the 1990 is the perfect option. Swap over your Vmax heads/cams and a few other small misc (like shift shaft, pcv chamber) and have a great performing engine in the Vmax.

Thanks for the info. Gonna get an appointment to go see that bike.

You will have a better 5th gear for highway use when your done too. The only thing about the max that bothers me is the lack of proper OTR gearing, it needs a 6th gear or something to keep it from being nervous and buzzy at speed, I would love to have that Venture 5th gear on my Vmax! Hang onto that Venture final drive if you can, should you ever choose to take the max on the long haul you might want those long legged gears. X2 on using the Vmax top end on the Venture 1300 block. If not your leaving a decent chunk of HP on the table. That Venture is ~100hp and the Vmax about 145, that lies in the heads and cams for the most part. I'm finnin' to toss an extra set of Vmax heads/cams/intakes into my 89 Venture. I'll prolly skip Vboost but that extra 50 or so HP would really help move it's morbidly obese ass up the highway.

There is a bit of chatter over on the Venture board about going to a Vmax heart, some of it might be relevant to your possible blend of Vmax and Venture engines if you do go that route. https://www.venturerider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?225-VMax-Conversions

If your bro with the Venture is parting it out I would love a PM, I ride a Venture too and have a few things on the grocery list.

Good luck on this project.

You're not going to gain all the HP with the heads/cams only. The Vboost also add's a big portion. And, the HP isn't going to be anywhere near the advertised numbers. Realistically you'll end up with 120's to 130's with the 1300 conversion and vboost (about 10% over a stock vmax engine).
Also, the 86-93 1300's transmission ratios are so close as to be hardly noticeable (3 mph top speed difference). The rear end gives the Venture that less then buzzy feeling with it's 10% ratio change. If you want a nice gear set in the engine itself then you've got to get into the Royal Star line of ratios which can give 15-23% change depending on which way you go.

RWHP of a stock VMax in USA trim rated 145 crank HP, varies from about 105-119 RWHP from what's been published in magazines and what's been reported on here. Call it an average of 110 RWHP, and you'd be accurate.

Sean's probably got the most time on a dyno for stock and modded bikes, of people hanging-out here.

Say the 1300 Venture block for increased cc's gives you 10% increase, that 110 RWHP of a stock VMax is now something a bit over 120 RWHP. With a Stage 7 Dynojet carb kit or Sean's Muscle Carb Kit, and a complete exhaust (Cobra 4-into-4's don't count!) another roughly 10% so now you're in the low 130's RWHP. Not bad, as plenty of current bikes that have a performance bent are 150 RWHP. Some-other power adder, like NOS (probably the cheapest and simplest), a turbo, or a supercharger, should put you right-around the R1/Hyabusa territory, though the cruiser aerodynamic characteristics of the VMax won't let you join them as speeds increase well-into triple-digits. From a start or a roll-on, I don't think you'd be giving away anything.

Last edited:
Back