97 Max in trouble

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

invalidsession

Reaction score
Hey guys, A fellow Maxxer here in town hit me with an issue today. He's hit a no start, no spark situation when he hits the the button. It started out as a complete collapse but the bike would re-start after several minutes. It's since degenerated into a complete lack of spark but he gets the impression that brief use of the kill switch gives a momentary fire situation.
Any ideas ?

Chris

Could be a loose/bad ignition fuse, or maybe the kill switch itself needs a good cleaning. Jumping the wires of the switch would be a simple way to check this.
Also, with the ignition on and the stop switch set to run, your friend should here the fuel pump and the v-boost test cycle if the switch is making proper contact.
Cheers!

Information passed on; fuel pump and v-boost both operating. Kill switch is bypassed and ignition fuse is good but still no spark at the plugs. We swapped out the "doohicky" behind the left rear foot peg and still nothing.

Chris.

What year is your friend's bike, Chris?
If you've got fuel, and all other electrical seems to be working fine(sidestand, neutral, clutch switches) I'd next check the condition of the pickup coil(s) and the connector(often found corroded). Depending on the year of the bike, the connector will be either a 5-pin or a 2-pin. You can find it by removing the seat and the L.h.s cover.

5-pin wiring is white/blue stripe, white/red stripe, gray, black and orange.
2-pin wiring is black and orange.
the wires will be coming out of the vicinity of the stator.
Cheers!

What year is your friend's bike, Chris?
If you've got fuel, and all other electrical seems to be working fine(sidestand, neutral, clutch switches) I'd next check the condition of the pickup coil(s) and the connector(often found corroded). Depending on the year of the bike, the connector will be either a 5-pin or a 2-pin. You can find it by removing the seat and the L.h.s cover.

5-pin wiring is white/blue stripe, white/red stripe, gray, black and orange.
2-pin wiring is black and orange.
the wires will be coming out of the vicinity of the stator.
Cheers!

It's a 1997 Miles and a huge thanks for your input :clapping:

Chris.

If it is the pickup coil, the bike would crank but not start. Not even a hint of starting, in my experience. Be ready for sticker shock as they are expensive, new. Do a search on here for alternatives for those parts, they are much cheaper!

It's a 1997 Miles and a huge thanks for your input :clapping:

Chris.

That makes it easier. Only one coil, only two wires to deal with.
Measure the resistance between the orange and black terminals, on the coil side of the connector.
As per manual.....should be between 80.8-121.2 ohms, @68F degrees(20C)
Last time I checked mine it was smack dab in the middle - 101.6 ohms.
Cheers!

Back