Anyone know about touch up paint for engine?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffrimerman

Reaction score
I'm going to go over the engine and just touch up where there is scratches. Can I just get engine paint and retouch or do I need to primer the tiny spot first? Not sure if there is even touch up paint like there is with exterior of car paint that can take high temps. I can spray black onto a brush and then touch that to the small part?

That's what I did. Used a small hobby paintbrush. Got some gloss black engine paint, sprayed some into the can's cap, then did the small areas by hand. Made the faded out heads on my engine look new again.

Oh wow, that's great to know thank you. I'll go through the engine and clean off the dust. I bought it and it's really customized, but the paint chips on engine and rusty exhaust pipes are the only flaws. I think I would need to drop the exhaust out and sand it and paint it silver to keep it stock looking or maybe paint them black or grey. Any thoughts on that?

I wouldn't paint the exhaust....it will look good for a few rides and then it will flake off. Even the "high heat" paints just don't stand up to headpipe temperatures, not for long. Ceramic coating or simply polishing is the way to go. Chrome I suspect would blue/yellow with the heat of the vmax engine.

If the paint on the engine is actually chipped, you may want to "fill" it with a high-building primer first, so when you apply the black the finish is smooth.

I used the "Rustoleum" touch up paint that comes in a little ball point squeeze tube. It works great and the black is a perfect match for the engine (black) touch up. I am not even able to see where I made a few touch up. Less mess too.

That's what I did. Used a small hobby paintbrush. Got some gloss black engine paint, sprayed some into the can's cap, then did the small areas by hand. Made the faded out heads on my engine look new again.

Thats what i did.too..tho i used a flat black..as my heads are kinda satinny.
i cldnt find a satin finish at the time..and in hindsite..gloss waoulda lookd better.

still looks good though.

I'm going to go over the engine and just touch up where there is scratches. Can I just get engine paint and retouch or do I need to primer the tiny spot first? Not sure if there is even touch up paint like there is with exterior of car paint that can take high temps. I can spray black onto a brush and then touch that to the small part?

Had good luck w/ Eastwood's Hi-Temp Ceramic Engine Paint. Pics in my gallery I think.

I use the same touch up paint on my max that I use on my truck. It comes in the bottle with the brush and also a ball point applicator. Glossy black. Got it at Auto Zone in the touch up paint section. It doesn't flake off.

Latest posts

Back