ATV accident with Fire-Rescue vehicle

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
Why don't people keep ATV's and dirtbikes off the streets? They are becoming a big problem here in So. Florida, running on the streets, running stop signs and red lights, and dying when they hit something. It's becoming a weekly occurrence, the dirtbike rider or ATV rider dead or seriously injured. The EMS education program I work for had a student on this truck when an ATV rider ran the intersection traffic control and hit the truck. You can see the ATV under the front bumper. During Martin Luther King Day there were hundreds of ATV's and dirtbikes running illegally, in packs, and one died and more were injured. I was at an intersection on a busy arterial road and two dirtbike idiots came thru the intersection, running the red light, where I had the green arrow to turn. No lights and one guy did it pulling a wheelie, standing on the seat, right in-front of me. Try that with an 85 year-old with poor reflexes, and that dirtbike might end-up across the hood of the Cadillac driven by the octogenarian.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/b...ompano-teen-killed-in-atv-20170213-story.html

750x422

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/lauderhill/fl-sb-lauderhill-atv-crash-20170215-story.html

I lived in Seattle for 15 years, same assholes only bicycles instead of dirt bikes. Everyone wants the same rights as cars/trucks but not have to follow the same rules.

The largest fire/rescue dept in Broward County (metropolitan Ft. Lauderdale FL area) is Broward County Sheriff's Office/Fire-Rescue, and that's whose truck that is. Departments here in south Florida use a combined approach (fire and rescue-EMS), almost exclusively, though on the west coast, at some jurisdictions, they do have separation. The busiest station in the USA for rescue is Ft. Lauderdale Sta. #2, approaching 30,000 calls/year! They have to run multiple trucks there. There is a large homeless population in that area, and that's a lot of the load. http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Ft-Lauderdale-Firehouse-2-Busiest-in-US-and-Canada-271946501.html

The thing that drove fire/rescue to use the larger trucks was Hurricane Andrew, in 1992. After the storm passed, many streets were totally blocked by flooding, demolished buildings, uprooted trees, and cars, trucks, and even boats blocking roadways. The Type III modular box and van chassis was very popular to that point, but because these couldn't ford standing water well, departments went to the Type I modular box on a traditional truck cab and chassis, where the truck was much-more heavy-duty (Ford F350 or F450, for ex.), and was able to traverse deeper standing water. They have 'dumps' to lower the rear of the truck for patient loading/unloading. The truck then resumes normal ride height.

What a waste of a young life....:eusa_snooty:

On a different note that's a damn fine looking crash truck! :punk:
ClickHandler.ashx
ClickHandler.ashx

The largest fire/rescue dept in Broward County (metropolitan Ft. Lauderdale FL area) is Broward County Sheriff's Office/Fire-Rescue, and that's whose truck that is. Departments here in south Florida use a combined approach (fire and rescue-EMS), almost exclusively, though on the west coast, at some jurisdictions, they do have separation. The busiest station in the USA for rescue is Ft. Lauderdale Sta. #2, approaching 30,000 calls/year! They have to run multiple trucks there. There is a large homeless population in that area, and that's a lot of the load. http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Ft-Lauderdale-Firehouse-2-Busiest-in-US-and-Canada-271946501.html

The thing that drove fire/rescue to use the larger trucks was Hurricane Andrew, in 1992. After the storm passed, many streets were totally blocked by flooding, demolished buildings, uprooted trees, and cars, trucks, and even boats blocking roadways. The Type III modular box and van chassis was very popular to that point, but because these couldn't ford standing water well, departments went to the Type I modular box on a traditional truck cab and chassis, where the truck was much-more heavy-duty (Ford F350 or F450, for ex.), and was able to traverse deeper standing water. They have 'dumps' to lower the rear of the truck for patient loading/unloading. The truck then resumes normal ride height.

ClickHandler.ashx
ClickHandler.ashx

WOW! Lots of planes went Tango Union there!

The damage from Hurricane Andrew was just incredible. Freighters pushed a quarter-mile inland across the mangroves, poured steel-reinforced tie beams on CBS structures torn apart, hundred year-old trees with 30 ft root balls, ripped from the ground like harvesting vegetables from the garden, lots where buildings were, now bare, but covered with debris from other demolished buildings, and from a vantage point of elevation, the same thing, as-far as you can see, 360 degrees. Nearly every traffic control device ripped-down, no street signs left standing, and no electrical power for a month in some places. Rural areas, even-more. I was lucky, my power was out for only a week. It didn't matter, as we were on nearly continuous overtime on fire rescue, apart from out normal 24 hr. shifts. Many homeowners just took their settlement checks and moved into the adjoining county to the north from Miami, and bought. My acquaintance who was a HVAC master permit holder, acted as the permit puller for out-of-state HVAC contractors who sent crews to Florida for months or longer, he had 3600 permits open at a time. It made him a multi-millionaire and he moved into a golf neighborhood where one of his neighbors was Dan Marino. A high-school friend, a roofing contractor from Tampa, was here for a year. Until New Orleans, it was the single most-expensive disaster in the USA.

I went to help dry-in a co-worker's roof after the storm, he lived not-far from the storm's initial point of contact with land (its 'landfall') and from the top of his home, devastation in all directions, most of the tree canopy gone. He lived from Metrozoo, and the zoo lost most of its stock. The few pine trees left standing, you could tell from which direction the windstorm came. On the side of the tree trunk opposite the windstorm direction, a row of branches from bottom to top was left, but all-other branches ripped-off, making the tree look like a mohawk haircut, and pointing in the direction from which the storm came.

One house would be totally demolished while one across the street might have superficial damage, the hip roofs fared better than the gable-end roof homes. Another house would lose its weatherproof covering, including flat or barrel tile, the one next door might lost its sheathing too, leaving the home like a huge dollhouse, walls but no ceilings or roof.

Back