Back from the track and broke another driveshaft! Maybe I need a Gen 2 ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be willing to let you take my '09 for test ride if you're interested. Not sure when I'll be joining another MI group ride, but if I see you you're welcome to try it out.

Yes, a gen2 is expensive (along with any of the mods that go along with it), but I'm just in love with the fact that this bike is totally unique compared to most anything else out there... and buying one kept me from getting an FJR. This bike puts a smile on my face just looking at it... and makes me grin like an idiot whenever I take it for a ride (the FJR just wouldn't have done that for me). I don't race and, to be honest, I don't have the riding skills to do it justice, but I don't regret a single dollar that I've spent on it so far.

Scott

Scott,
Very awesome of you to offer. I ll have to keep that in mind when I start to look. One reason I look at a Gen 2 also, is more streetable power. My wife can get on and I can also go to the track with it and have some fun. One bike, two purposes. How is it being a passenger on a Gen 2?

Thanks
Todd

like others have said, you can build faster for less money than a GenII
If all you are after is going fast in a straight line at the track, then I would not suggest a GenII. New 14R would be the way to go IMO.
But if you want something different (like your GenI) then you wont make a better choice than the GenII. We always get a crowd at the strip after we make a few passes... and whopp up on some sporties, they can't believe that "big ol bike" is that fast...

I am torn between getting back into racing a little more and keeping a streetable bike. The Busa could do both. Great long range touring bike and capable of great 1/4 times as well, all in stock form. Easy 10 second 1/4 mile times, if not high 9's with a good rider or slight mods. 2 up is not as comfortable for my wife from what I can read. But single rider I know they are comfortable.

The Gen 2 I would assume would be decently comfortable for two up. That is probably going to be my deciding factor when I make a final decision on keeping two bikes or having one purpose built bike.

Thanks
Todd

Dont do it Todd. Ouchez why would you do that to him.

I know its personal for some guys on the Vmax. But bottom line is they are cool, but outrageously outdated. Even with current updates, you spend 3 times what its worth to bring it close to the current model on a bad day.

A Gen 2, stock is going to be as fast, or possibly faster then a Gen 1 with all the trimmings. And obviously if you have a higher strung motor ( read outside its originally designed expectations ) your not going to be reliable as a stock motor would be.

Whats going to last longer ? A Diesel motor pushing 500 hp or a small black chevy making 500 hp. I guarantee you wont see a million miles out of the small block ;).

So I look at the Busa and Gen 2 as the diesel motors. Big heavy and powerful. The Gen 1 is like the small block if you pump it up. Its going to break something alot sooner then a stock Busa or Gen 2 will from what I can see and both of those are atleast a full second faster if not faster then that, with a skilled rider.

Damn race track.
Todd

It is what it is. Like you said there are newer bikes that do it better and for cheaper, but I think that is the allure for the original Vmax. It's design is over a quarter century old, it has rep dripping off it's scoops, unique looks and sound keep the heartbeat going, we get a thrill when we can catch a noob on a faster bike and show what this sweet machine did to all the bikes back in the day.
I'm thinking a nice Gen2 with the Nash flash, full exhaust, and monster air should do the trick!

I know its personal for some guys on the Vmax. But bottom line is they are cool, but outrageously outdated. Even with current updates, you spend 3 times what its worth to bring it close to the current model on a bad day.

A Gen 2, stock is going to be as fast, or possibly faster then a Gen 1 with all the trimmings. And obviously if you have a higher strung motor ( read outside its originally designed expectations ) your not going to be reliable as a stock motor would be.

Whats going to last longer ? A Diesel motor pushing 500 hp or a small black chevy making 500 hp. I guarantee you wont see a million miles out of the small block ;).

So I look at the Busa and Gen 2 as the diesel motors. Big heavy and powerful. The Gen 1 is like the small block if you pump it up. Its going to break something alot sooner then a stock Busa or Gen 2 will from what I can see and both of those are atleast a full second faster if not faster then that, with a skilled rider.

Damn race track.
Todd

Todd,

I do adore my 05, flawless and stock, and my Avons Venoms allow me to corner tight enough to scrap my pegs with a nice tight front end, and it accelerates plenty well for me. This bike has enriched my life like no other bike has.

That being said, and at 62 years old, I hope to have 1 new bike left in me before hanging it up. I have pretty much decided that new bike will be a ZX14RR or the Raider S,,and the Raider S will probably get the nod. A Gen 2 will not even be a consideration.

Sorry to hear about your Marks cracking and leaking, I know many pipe makers, including Brocks, ship hi-temp sealant for the pipe joints so they will not leak.

O

Scott,
Very awesome of you to offer. I ll have to keep that in mind when I start to look. One reason I look at a Gen 2 also, is more streetable power. My wife can get on and I can also go to the track with it and have some fun. One bike, two purposes. How is it being a passenger on a Gen 2?

Thanks
Todd

No problem, any time. The gen2 is a very wide bike and it seems that anyone under 5'10" usually needs to lower the bike and/or have the seat reshaped to narrow it down a bit to sit flatfooted at a stop.

As for at the track, as I mentioned I don't race and my bike is mechanically stock, but a lot of the guys that do (and have some riding skills) are easily into the 9's with a 4-1 performance exhaust, front strap, airbox mod and a Nash reflash. I'm guessing those mods cost around $2200+ or so.

As stated, the passenger pegs are quite high and sport bike-ish and may not be comfortable for your wife depending on how tall she is. The Corbin peg relocation kit is an option, but it's expensive and I would think that anyone with your fab skills could come up with a cheaper and better option. I broke up with my last girlfriend before she got a chance to ride with me, but she did sit on it once (she was quite tall) and she didn't think it would have been too uncomfortable for a short ride. Still haven't ridden two up yet.

Scott

I honestly think sometimes of building a bike from scratch. Motor wise I can pick whatever I want for power. But chassis and handling I can build all my own. That way I can only complain about my own design LOL.

Todd

We are a special breed for sure, I compare my bike to my car all the time... I have a 68 Cutlass that I'm building too, sure a Chevy or Ford or even a Mopar would have been cheaper and easier but I like being different.. My bike is the same way, if I wanted to just go fast I would have bought a used Busa but my bike has way more soul... I rode into bike night last year with my friend Dan on his turbo Busa and I had twice as many people checking out my bike just because its different, sure his runs 8.70's at 168mph but I still had more people checking mine out because a Busa is kinda like a Harley, no matter how badass it is chances are someone's done it before and its just not as interesting. I work on my bike because I love Vmax's, I know their limitations but I still love em...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Now see I guess it depends on the area you live in. There aren't that many Busa's or Gen 2 around me.

My Cummins is about as common as they get, yet when I pull in someplace, its the wild graphics on it that get me more attention they a naked super model on fire.... well maybe as much. But the point is that sometimes enough is enough. To get what you want you have to sacrifice one thing for another. You know there is NO way a Gen 1 Vmax can be a 9 second bike and yet be driven to your great lost uncles house 900 miles away without some type of problem. You can do that on the new Gen 2 or a Busa.

Chances are I ll keep the Max and build a Busa or maybe get a Gen 2 and then look at a Goldwing or something to take my wife out on. I am starting to make a list of what I want and what I can do and unfortunately some of the wants have a bigger price tag then I can afford :(

Todd

Busa's are everywhere around here, some damn fast ones too! I think you have the right idea, keep your bike to street ride and have fun on (you can still knock any Harley's dick in the dirt) and start looking for a Busa to work on.. There was a damn nice one for $5000 that already had a titanium pipe on it with a power commander, throw on an air shifter and extend the arm and go racing...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

They are cheap enough to find used. I showed my wife a old Wing and she was like Hell yeah! So I think maybe I might look at something like that.

Ah.... heck, maybe I ll keep the Max, get a Busa and get a Wing LOL.

Todd

Now you're making sense.

I would love a Gen 2 but not at my Gens 1 expense. I have too much fun on them.

Got a Blackbird for Sport - touring . ( Bought it cheap )

GSXR 750 for the better twisties . ( Bought it fallen , but not damaged )

All used of course , but if you take your time and look around , you can find a good one of whatever blows your dress up . :clapping::clapping::clapping:

I would like to have a venture done up vmax style but with a cool exhaust and i would need to do something with the fairing. I here cornell is doing up a venture.

I always liked the Blackbird till the Busa came out. How do you like yours and do you have the front end wobble tire eating issues they supposedly have?

Todd

I always liked the Blackbird till the Busa came out. How do you like yours and do you have the front end wobble tire eating issues they supposedly have?

Todd

I like it a lot ( understatement ) . Both have a look that either really appeals . I personally think the Bird is much better looking , but that's just me. I do know this . You don't see very many ( like the Max ). You won't see your Bird in the bike parking lot very often , even if they have been out there since '96 . They are almost like a limited edition Honda.
It really goes with 130 - 160 to the rear wheel with no major additions. 180-185 mph is talked about on their forum all the time , and like the Max , it is really big in Europe and other far away places. They have places to stretch it out over there w/o penalties and many put full bag systems on for two - up touring and mountain twisties. A few have turbod theirs and 250 h.p. is not one of the biggest numbers I have heard , but most don't go much past that for reliability and how much more do you need ? Well one of 'em went past 300 H.P. I heard he put the motor up for sale as he really didn't need that much after all.

Any front end wobble from what I have read ( mine has gone up to 160 thus far with plenty left on the throttle , and no wobble at all ) , is usually due to worn or out of adjustment head bearings , worn front springs or defective or cupped front tires . ( sound familar ? )

Back