Bad sounding engine. Big end gone?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone, I am from Ontario Canada. I'm really puzzled with this sound from my 1996 vmax 1200.
After years I finally got this bike but this sound that the engine will explode really worries me. I have seen some amazing suggestions big mine still acting up. Thanks for your help everyone.

Not sure if you are asking a question or making a statement.
If it is a question then we need more information e.g a description of the noise, ideally with a recording, when does it occur - at idle, under load, cruising or over-run?
The more information you give the better the chance we can suggest areas to investigate.

Not sure if you are asking a question or making a statement.
If it is a question then we need more information e.g a description of the noise, ideally with a recording, when does it occur - at idle, under load, cruising or over-run?
The more information you give the better the chance we can suggest areas to investigate.
Hi,
Sorry I should have been more clear. My bike is 1996 vmax1200cc. Bike has this metal clunking sound when I start the bike, sound seems to come from the top/middle. Clunk is louder when the choke is completely open, clunk is a lot quieter when choke is least open. Clunking doesn't speed up or slow down when I Rev the engine. When riding the bike the clunk speed sound stays the same. When engine is hot, the clunk sound is very quiet. I have checked engine oil and there is no metal shaving in there.

What exhaust is on the bike? The stock front pipes are double walled and have been known to break the inner pipe loose from the outer which can make a pretty bad racket.

Hi,
Sorry I should have been more clear. My bike is 1996 vmax1200cc. Bike has this metal clunking sound when I start the bike, sound seems to come from the top/middle. Clunk is louder when the choke is completely open, clunk is a lot quieter when choke is least open. Clunking doesn't speed up or slow down when I Rev the engine. When riding the bike the clunk speed sound stays the same. When engine is hot, the clunk sound is very quiet. I have checked engine oil and there is no metal shaving in there.
I had the same problem with mine 1996 black max. Someone said it could be the inner pipes of the exhausts. First i was planning to make a complete engine repair but then i had the chance to buy a 1999 engine with less miles on it and i went for that solution. It was not the inner pipes because the sound is gone with the other engine. Thank god for that otherwise i think i was not happy anymore. The other engine i have now for spare parts. I drove it last week and it runs great.

I had the same problem with mine 1996 black max. Someone said it could be the inner pipes of the exhausts. First i was planning to make a complete engine repair but then i had the chance to buy a 1999 engine with less miles on it and i went for that solution. It was not the inner pipes because the sound is gone with the other engine. Thank god for that otherwise i think i was not happy anymore. The other engine i have now for spare parts. I drove it last week and it runs great.
Ahh ok! I'll check the inner pipe of the exhaust(is that what you meant?) Please correct me if I'm wrong. Mine has 68k km on it now if I find an engine with less km I'll definitely be interested.

Ahh ok! I'll check the inner pipe of the exhaust(is that what you meant?) Please correct me if I'm wrong. Mine has 68k km on it now if I find an engine with less km I'll definitely be interested.
Yes, the inner pipe. If so, you are lucky. If not, you have got some work to do...

Back