Battery reconnect problem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canuckvmax

Reaction score
I have an 85 vmax. As soon as i try to reconnect the negative terminal there is a spark and the starter seems to try to engage. The key is not in the ignition? Any suggestions? I am a little mechanically inclined but less so with electric systems.

You should truly take your bike to an expert instead of doing it on your own. These terminals are tricky, if you fix them in wrong terminals then you will again receive negative results, and might damage your battery.

Like Fire-medic says likely the starter solenoid.

Disconnect the two leads from the starter solenoid inside the red circle and isolate them (for instance by putting tape on each of them, do not tape them together). Now you should be able to connect the battery without the starter motor engaging and lights etc should work when you turn the key.

1698671854998.png

A further note to RampageR1’s advice. First disconnect the negative lead on the battery. Then determine which lead goes from the positive of the battery to the starter solenoid - then disconnect the other big wire which goes to the starter motor, then re-connect the battery. Put a tester or test light on that other terminal now and see if there is 12 volts there. If there is then the solenoid is locked in. Try disconnecting the small plug from the solenoid to the wiring harness. You might hear the solenoid click at this point and then click again if you re-connect the small plug. If so you have a problem in the control circuit to the solenoid. If you are still seeing 12 volts at the starter terminal of the solenoid with the little plug disconnected then it’s frozen in the “engaged” position and will need a replacement.

I have an 85 vmax. As soon as i try to reconnect the negative terminal there is a spark and the starter seems to try to engage. The key is not in the ignition? Any suggestions? I am a little mechanically inclined but less so with electric systems.
Try giving the starter and the starter circuit relay a little tap with something soft like a piece of wood. It could be stuck contacts.

You will need a voltmeter to test the circuit. Check that there is not a short across the start switch. Check to see if there is an earth on the - side of the start relay. If there is then there could be a short to chassis. The +12 goes directly to the starter solenoid and it is energised by putting an earth on the other side. This is done by pressing the start switch which then goes to the starter circuit cut off relay. Try tapping the relay in case it's a stuck contact.

Back