Beads in your tires.....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is kind of what I found (this topic has been beat to death at advrider)....some people try them and rave about how they immediately smoothed out vibration, got longer tire life, and even concealed issues like bent (spoke) rims. Others say they try them and an existing vibration got worse, or a previously smooth ride now vibrated. Apparently there's several manufacturers of these balance beads, some claim to be impervious to tire lube, some claim to have a light adhesive quality so they "stick" to the inside of the tire(once you get a smooth ride, romp it to 100 or so to "stick" them in place), and of course each one claims it's the best, most used, ect, ect.

So it seems kind of hit-and-miss. When the dealer is open tuesday I think I'll stop by and pick up the 2oz for the rear and 1oz for the front. So this should be a decent test. Wheel was lead balanced and smooth. Lead fell off(3x 1/4oz squares I believe were on there all next to each other) Now there's a slight vibration/hop at high speeds and it feels like more buzz in the handlebars at all speeds. Will adding the beads smooth it back out? Guess we'll find out.

I would give it a try Ryan. My dealer installed and balanced my last set of tires and they had a vibration when I re-installed them on my bike. I got some dynabeads in them and pulled the lead weights off. Bike immediately smoothed out. This guy has been balancing tires for me for the last 30 years and I have never had a problem with him before. Is it possible that he screwed up and put the weights in the wrong spot? Yep, it could have happened, but I know that it totally went away with the dynabeads. I will be installing them in all my bikes from now on when they get new tires installed. We use a similar type of balancing agent inside of our school bus tires where I work with excellent results.

Put my rear tire on Saturday morning at 2 am. Went home slept for 2 1/2 hours and then put 601 miles on the tire on Saturday.

Air soft bb's inside. No vibrations from 0 to 140 mph!

Smooth as silk the whole way. I'll be doing my front Monday.

Todd

I've been using Dyna-Beads for over 4 years now, it's the only thing I'll ever use again, have probably done 30+ tires with them, NO COMPLAINTS! :punk:

Well I gave these a shot. 1oz in the front and 2oz and the rear. As said, since losing wheel weights, it has a slight but noticeable "hop" once you get the speed much past 100. Think the two baggies ran about $15 at the dealer.

Took it out for a drive, ran it up to about 110 and the hop was just the same as before. Seat of pants says there's no difference whatsoever.

Now I'll glue the weights back on(there's a noticeable square on the wheel where they were) and see if it goes away.

The only other explanation is that my chain is totally shot, not sure if that would cause anything like this though.

I guess airsoft bbs must fit down the tire stem....a little quick math says you'd want ~250 airsoft bb's to equal around 2 grams of weight(assuming the heavier "accuracy" type beads of around 1/4 gram each)

For the same price of the dynabeads you can get a pack of 5,000 airsoft bbs on ebay.

wonder if steel .177cal bb's would work...they're about .35 grams each.

Hmmm interesting. Keep us posted if adding the weights back helps. Maybe its way out of wack, and the 2oz of beads alone weren't enough. Or maybe the tire has damaged cords/belts that are throwing things off.

I dont remember the math off the top of my head, but I went with the lightest bb's with the idea that there will be more of them to disperse rather then less.

I might add a little more to my front as I noticed a slight vibration at 110 mph.

I not sure mileage on the tires now, but we have had lots of rain so its not much.

Todd

Back