Blew up my Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71olds

Reaction score
Well I toolkmy 85 Max on a road trip (well that was the plan)
Got 125 miles in & Something went horribly wrong. (if anyone has a clue what please chime in)

All the gears work & the clutch feels fine but when you get a load on it it feels and sounds like gears are skipping (like a super loud ratchet) with no load I was able to nurse it home 3 miles but any more then 10% throttle & all hell breaks loose.

The bike is up at my lake house in PA now & I will get it Saturday and bring it home but not sure where to even start or if it time to let her go..

So I did 1000 miles on my zx14

IMG_20150613_113412923_zpssthazh1b.jpg

That sucks. At least you have another bike to fall back on. I think i would probably look for a replacement motor, or sell it depending on your attachment to the bike.

Sounds like the driven cam in the middle drive gear. Not expensive part but you'll have to pull the engine and split the case to get at it.

my thought too take off the middle gear cover and look at the retainers to see if they are bent or popped out damaged in any way, also are you sure your rear diff isn't the culprit? don't think you said where the noise if coming from for sure

yep the would be the out put shaft of your gearbox not catastrophic but it does require some work to fix the tranny I guess it's up to you what you want to do, I did the work myself cost me about 600 and I did it over the winter

yep the would be the out put shaft of your gearbox not catastrophic but it does require some work to fix the tranny I guess it's up to you what you want to do, I did the work myself cost me about 600 and I did it over the winter

arrg I was afraid of that.

Think she may have to go on ebay :tantrum:

Back