Buying another bike....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
00M0M_dnLZI8quU4s_600x450.jpg

hmmm......

Well Vmax Mike and I went to check out a busa in ohio and it was nice but it needed tires and brakes. That of course was after the guy told me everything was good. So that was a waste of time and money.

Back to the drawing board.

Im sure you will find a bike that will keep you next to me or maybe a half second ahead of me. Good luck one your next new to you bike stop Todd i hope its a nice one.

Well Vmax Mike and I went to check out a busa in ohio and it was nice but it needed tires and brakes. That of course was after the guy told me everything was good. So that was a waste of time and money.

Back to the drawing board.

Unless the guy was asking top-$$$ I dunno why you dismissed it. Those are regular wear items. $5-600 from what he was asking would have put you right-there w/being squared-away. Plus, at the end of the season and close to the holidays, I am sure the power of cash would be a strong motivator in a time of few buyers for a fair-weather toy, as the snow flurries begin. If it was in good shape otherwise & had extras, then if the guy was willing to deal, I would probably have looked pretty-hard at it. I know you did since you saw it, he wasn't willing to deal?

We made him a very fair offer And then up to $150 And then he turned into a dick And said that Bike is not leaving This garage for less then 4500 dollars Our final offer was 4400 I feel like he's going to look at today Will give me a hard run Maybe even out run me And seven years newer With less miles And he can get it for The same cash And a little bit of custom gun work

Don't smartphones I think you get the gist of what I'm saying Fire Medic

Trust me I had some pretty funny ones sometimes when it happens texting my wife I just go ahead and send it for laugh I sent a few to Todd for a laugh also maybe I'll just are leaving my post on the forums the way they come out

Unless the guy was asking top-$$$ I dunno why you dismissed it. Those are regular wear items. $5-600 from what he was asking would have put you right-there w/being squared-away. Plus, at the end of the season and close to the holidays, I am sure the power of cash would be a strong motivator in a time of few buyers for a fair-weather toy, as the snow flurries begin. If it was in good shape otherwise & had extras, then if the guy was willing to deal, I would probably have looked pretty-hard at it. I know you did since you saw it, he wasn't willing to deal?

Besides what Mike already mentioned when someone is straight up dishonest with me then I start to question the rest of their story when I'm looking to buy something and more times than not I'll walk away. If they are lying about the small stuff then what about the big expensive stuff?

sent from my HTC Rezound using tapatalk

Todd's not on his first rodeo he's just sharing with you guys.

Worst case of deception I had was going to look for a XS-1 gas tank (let's see how-many Yamaha historians are on-here, no-fair googling, either you know it or you don't). How I came to get the bike and how I got the title is a 'whole-'nother story' on its own.

There was a used bike parts shop on Andrews Ave. in Ft Lauderdale FL run by one of those guys who you figure doesn't really want to sell anything, judging by the way he treats potential customers who walk through his doorframe.

If ever there was someone who rated a title of 'curmudgeon,' he was 'the one.' He had a surly, rude disposition, and that was on a good day, and on a bad day, he would be hurtling expletives at you as you retreated through the front door.

Thing was, he seemed to buy a lot of the local bikes which were wrecked, I dunno if he bought them from private owners or from the insurance companies, iI think, both. Anyways, he had a lot of inventory, and it was usually less than NOS from the dealer.

So, I had this XS-1, and it was rusted-through on the gas tank. I went in there looking for a replacement, and the XS-1 was similar to the 'Max, made for many years, few changes, and a broad application across the years.

I inquired, he affirmed, yes, he had one. Now normally, you would think that at this point, he would produce the item in-question, you would examine it, ask what was the price, and maybe a bit of 'Yankee trading' later, you would arrive at a mutually-agreeable price, cash would change hands, and you're out the door. Not at this place!

He had told me, "yes, I have one," and then we stood there, he didn't move to retrieve it, and I was wondering, "what's the next move here, do I need to give a 'secret handshake, or a code-word or something?' Finally I broke his glaring at-me, by asking, "well, can I see it?"

As he left the counter into his back-room packed to the walls w/parts on shelves, he told me over-the-shoulder, "all sales are final, parts are as-is, and cash-only!"

"OK," I said. A minute later he returned to the counter, and he set an XS-1 gas tank onto the counter. It was bare. Bare as a newborn baby, no screw-on gold "YAMAHA" nameplates on its flanks, no flip-up quick-release gas tank cap, no petcock, nothing!

He held-onto the tank w/one hand and one side of the tank was facing me. He had positioned it so it was right in-front of him, close to his edge of the countertop, and away from me. I reached out to touch it, and he said, "cash first!"

Now I dunno about you, but when I go to the grocery store, if I'm buying tomatoes at $1.99/lb, I pick each one up and give it a good once-over, if it's not bruised, not too-soft or too-hard, has no bruises or breaks in the skin, and the color is OK, I place it into a produce bag, and reach for another. Same for all the produce.

When I go to a private garage to buy used parts advertised on CL, or when I go to a 'bricks & mortar' business for used parts, it's the same-thing. Give it the once-over, and either it passes visual inspection, or I hand it back, and go on my way, looking for 'something better.'

Well, when I reached for the gas tank, the guy pulls it closer to himself, and he demands money. At that point, I sidled sideways down the counter a bit, and tried to see the opposite side of the tank, which was facing him. He immediately moves the tank so the same side is parallel to my view. I moved in the opposite direction, and he does the same-thing.

Finally, I ask him, "how-much for this?" He names an exorbitant price. I ask him, "and I assume that includes the emblems for both sides, and the petcock, and the gas cap?"

He shakes his head, "no."

"Well, I need to see the tank. I need to see what kind of shape it's in structurally, I need to inspect the interior for rust, and I wanted a complete tank w/emblems, cap, and petcock." I didn't mind paying a fair price for an item which was complete, in good-shape, and usable when I got home. I already had the bike running on an auxiliary tank, so I was ready to purchase.

Now I reached-out with both hands and tried to take the tank to examine the "dark-side of the moon," as-it was. He took it off the counter, and repeated his demand for cash!

At that point, I asked him, "you want me to buy the tank, all-sales-final, and you won't show me both sides of the tank before purchase? Show me the other side of the tank!" He reluctantly reversed the tank so I could see what was being concealed.

If you know the Yamaha XS-1 tanks, you are familiar with the beautiful compound curves they have, a really-pretty design. The 250 and 360 DT-1/RT-1 Enduros had a similar curvaceous shape to them, it was a 'family-thing.'

This tank looked like someone had poured it full of 'quicksilver' from the high-school chemistry lab, and then had dragged it back and forth across the student parking lot behind some farm kid's 25 year-old pickup, tethered to the rear bumper w/a rusty chain. Or maybe the shop teacher caught a woodworking student using a coarse rasp on a hated kid's motorcycle, after first demonstrating the technique of ball pein hammer application to flatten a curved piece of metal, without benefit of dolly, an anvil, or a sandbag. I mean, it was trashed! But, the other side was OK.

So that's what he was trying to "sell" me. I was so-pissed, I wanted to scream at him, to sweep the cluttered counter clear of everything, and to start chucking those items I could reach which had the benefit of weighty avoirdupois, at his head, as-hard as I could.

"You are an idiot! Did you really think I would have bought that piece of shit scrap metal for what you were asking, without being able to examine it? I wouldn't have taken it for free if you offered it to me! The rusted-out one I have is in better-shape than this crash-damaged crap!" I didn't bother waiting for an explanation, I turned-tail and left, and never bothered entering his shop again. After awhile, it was vacant, and his business practices had caught-up with him.

Now, I dunno what he told you, but normal wear items needing replacement I discount from the price I am willing to pay. Then I deduct something-else, and make an offer. Haggling back & forth, a deal is struck, or-not. I guess you didn't feel that it was a good-deal, or you looked under the rear fender and saw a 1/2" of crusted, shredded rubber there, and decided the rattling clutch at-idle and the slipping function was evidence of 'rode-hard & put-away wet.' I guess you didn't think it was worth-it, not even to haggle.

I once caught a guy moving out of state that week, and bought a Kawi for 1/5 of what he was asking, because it wasn't running, and needed work to be operable, but it wasn't crashed, and had compression on all cylinders, and most-important, no title issues. So I bought it. Ya gotta make an offer. No one was interested in this bike and he decided better the cash he's offered than the cash that isn't.

I will be looking for your next possible purchase, like everyone-else on-here reading the thread.

Besides what Mike already mentioned when someone is straight up dishonest with me then I start to question the rest of their story when I'm looking to buy something and more times than not I'll walk away. If they are lying about the small stuff then what about the big expensive stuff?

sent from my HTC Rezound using tapatalk

Well the Busa was a deal on the phone. How are the tires, well they are 70% or better. And brakes, brakes are in good condition. Oil leaks.... none.

Well the front tire was cupped and dry rotted, the rear tire was squared off. Really the rear tire would not have been a problem. I have tire, not big deal other than I specifically asked if the tires where good. I could see someone thinking the rear was ok, but the front was dry rotted and cracked. Thats a big deal. You can't ride on a dry rotted tire, not on a bike like that. You can maybe get by on a questionable tire on a Honda Rebel 250, but not a 1300cc Busa.....

Brakes, pads were worn down. They could have gone a 1000-2000 more miles, but again, your not on a Rebel..... your on a rip snorting 190 mph missle. Do you wait till your brakes fail to replace them? Or replace them when they start to look worn down. Brakes are cheap, you replace them when they look worn, even if they could go a little longer.

Oil leaks.... I am not sure if the oil was leaking or if it was fixed and it was residue. But you have to take that into account.

He wanted $4900 for the bike OBO. I asked to meet half way, he said he would go $4700 if I came to him. I calculated gas and drive time and told him I could go $4500 if the bike was what he said it was when I got there. He agreed. So I asked my questions again and a few new ones. He answered everything and we made a date.

Mike and I got there and inspected the bike. It was clean, it was low mileage 9000 miles. Fork seals good, lights and electrical good. No body damage. Then there was the tires..... the brakes.... the oil residue. And we aren't talk fresh clean oil or a small area, it was old dirt caked oil and covered a decent area. It was behind the plastics, so you couldn't see it really well. If it was a more expensive bike I would have pulled the body panels and done more inspection.

I offered $4250 because of the tires, brakes and oil issue. You know $250 is enough to cover tires alone.... he declined. I told him you said these parts are good.... I drove all the way down here on the premise it was good and its not. Awkward silence. I said, I am here, I wasted xxx amount on gas and my time .... throw me a bone, $4400 for it? He then got rude and said the bike won't leave the garage for less then $4500..... I said with the bad tires , oil leak and brakes? To which he didn't respond. I reiterated the I drove down here and you told me.... to a blank stare back at me. I said ok , thanks for nothing and walked.

I can't complain, if it was meant to be it would have been. But instead I bought a 2008 Kawasaki ZX14 with less miles for the same amount of money and it was only an hour away...... check out my new post!

Todd

Standing pat for $100 he must not have been wanting to sell, I don't blame you.

Standing pat for $100 he must not have been wanting to sell, I don't blame you.

It wasn't even that for me. It was attitude. To be honest, if he would have said yes to my $4400 offer, I probably still would have walked on the principle of the matter. Vmax Mike would have probably had a confused look on his face as I did it, if that would have happened. :biglaugh:

I am getting to old to do things other peoples way. If I want something at a price, I either get it or a don't.

The ZX14 was a price I couldn't turn down. So much bike for such a little price. I couldnt argue.

Todd

I think its was a great deal Todd. now you don't have the same old bike Busa-Mike has. Even thought I Race suzies for many many years, if I were to buy today, I'd get the zx-14. Ofcourse I'd get the good one with the big engine, but thats just me <BMFG>

Back