Cam Chains

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

namyzzo

Reaction score
..So the 86 I bought had wasted con rod bearings/damaged crank and ALOT of metal circulating throughout the engine.. I bought a replacement crank from a 96 a year ago..Well I thought I would go back and get the cam chains too - AFTER seeing how much metal shaving were imbedded into the oil pump parts... While I'm bargaining over the price me and the guy are talking about cam chains and how much everyoone else wants for replacements he mentions "linkless" chains...etc... So I get home and clean them up and I compare the different years...
- The 86 appears to be Linkless and the 96 has a "link"

Now I am going around and around trying to decide which ones to use... Old 86 Linkless = Higher miles,No link,excessive debirs in oil..
newer 96 = clean engine but has a link..

I tried to compare the two closely...Looking at overall length...I also compared how much "flex" side to side they each had... = They both appear to be in the same condition...

So which one to use?? Link or Linkless

Attachments

• camchains_web1.jpg
    camchains_web1.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 14
  • camchains_web2.jpg
    camchains_web2.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 12
  • camchains_web.jpg
    camchains_web.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 13
You'd be fine with either one. I sell new chains too if needed but if you are doing this on a budget then do with either one.

Did you check the thrust surface on the block you are repairing? Many times they are damaged when a bearing spins and then is not a normal repairable surface.

Sean

-Sean,

Have you ever seen a cam chain fail?..

I guess I "feel" safer with the chain that doesn't have the flared / hollow looking pins..:ummm:

I'm pretty sure I checked the block a long time ago..But do you have a quick linky to pictures pointing out Good vs BAD ??

Here's an old pic I took.. If this is the correct side to be concerned about.. > There is really no gouge or perceivable damage.. Slight scuff marks can be seen..

Attachments

• 3-29-2008.jpg
    3-29-2008.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 24
That side looks good but you need to check the other side. I can send you a picture of where to drill if you want to add oiling to that area too.

Sean
[email protected]

Latest posts

Back