Can't sync the carbs...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, that rules that out.

The only other thing I can think of is that that your linkage is bent. You'll have to pull the air box so you can look straight down on the carbs to find out for sure. It's not rocket science though.

Simple fact, you should never have gotten the bike back that far out of sync.

When setting up carbs that are lumpy with bank readings way out like you have, if I cannot set them withing a few minutes I'll take them off the bike.

Then; set all the intake flaps with a drill bit shank (any drill bit will do on condition the flaps open that amount, but a small 1/8" will do), set all the flaps the same (no need to look for perfection at this point, but close). This will tell you if the springs are all there on the carbs as the flaps will all be opening and closing the same with the throttle and returning to your drill bit setting. The flap opening is the tick-over so be prepared to adjust that quickly when back on the bike.

Put the carbs back on and you should all be within a couple of divisions on your carbtune syncing. Then (as mentioned above) adjust the carbs by trial and error, but do not lean on the screws as the carb setting is sensitive to pushing the screws too hard, just try and turn only.

If that does not work you have problems elsewhere. Some mechanics will assume you are skilled at syncing carbs and will not give a close setting for you via the intake flaps for tickover and syncing quickly. This is partly due to all carbs will run slightly different on various bikes, and of course laziness.

I'm betting the flap on his linkage is bent and it's not able to open up enough even with the screw all the way out. I'm betting it's bottoming against the screw housing itself.

And you paid 600 bucks for that? Wow. Just wow.
Yes that was damn expensive, especially when avoiding the ultrasonic cleaner.

I have a guy asking me to help him with his VMax carbs just now, where the bike has not moved for about 4 years. My reply was; ultrasonic cleaner or no help from me.

I'm betting the flap on his linkage is bent and it's not able to open up enough even with the screw all the way out. I'm betting it's bottoming against the screw housing itself.
It appears purely mechanical to me too.

I am very grateful for your in depth reply, but I have to warn you that I am still learning how to be a DIY "mechanic".

So you lost me with the intake flaps. 😅
The brass large butterfly's that open and close when opening and closing the throttle, or setting the tickover. Take the carbs out and you will see what I mean. There are plenty of guys on here would be able to direct you on that point.

The carbs are not difficult to take off at this stage. Just ask if that's what you want to do, but I would say as the carbs are so far out then do not mess about any more. In my opinion you would need to go back to a known closeness that will give you a good engine start and a good close syncing to start off with. They also need to be inspected for mechanical operation and set up (the set up is a small routine only and no great deal, just a drill bit as mentioned). What you need is minimal tools to set them, screwdriver, drill bit and one eyeball, no more.

Back