Carb overflow issue

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V.Villanueva

Reaction score
My #4 carb on my 85' Vmax is spitting gas out of the overflow tube at speeds above idle. I tore the carbs out but, am getting a little weiry about what to do after removing the float bowl cover. Any suggestions on what to look for exactly? Appreciate the advice.

"Novice Vmax owner"
aka Val...

Val, remove the four scews holding the float cover on. It's the cover that has the brass hex bolt in the lower center. Make sure you drain that carb first. Check out this to see how to drain the carb: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=1570

When you loosen the screw the fuel will drain from the small black rubber hose jetting out the side. Have a small container ready to catch it.

Once you remove the cover you'll see a black float. Move it up and down and make sure it's not sticking and doesn't bind. Pull it straight up off the pivot post. You'll see the float needle valve. This is what closes the fuel supply off to the float chamber. If there's dirt up in there it'll flood the carb. Remove the needle valve with a small needle nose pliers and then carefully spray some carb cleaner up i nthere. Also check the rubber tip on the valve and make sure there isn't any wear. When you put the float back on make sure the float tank fits into the wire fastened to the end of the needle valve.

Thanks! I'll do that. Had a concern about whether or not the Float itself or, the depth it was set (if applicable) was correct or bad.

No matter what the float level was set at I don't think it would cause fuel to go up the vents. Maybe if there was no float. :)

Back